2001 to 2012 Outback.... upgrade?

My friend just bought a 2012 Outback, 6 sp manual. He decided to upgrade his car because of the many engine oil leaks in the 01 that drove him crazy.

We went for a spin in the car and he commented on the following about the new car:

- The engine is not as peppy

- The engine is not as smooth.

- The clutch engages too low and the gas pedal does not respond as fast, leading to almost stalling when going from a stand still.

- When shifting from 1st to 2nd, it seems that the electric throttle keeps the RPM too high, just as if the engine had a very heavy flywheel.

- The finishes are way worse on the 12

- The headliner, by the front windshield , ends on a straight cut, no edging or termination.

- The front part of the cover for the cargo space gets dislodged whenever you recline the rear seats.

I did concur with his assessment. I also noticed that the sub frame is separated from the body with some small diameter metal spacers. Makes me wonder how this car is going to age. The load concentrated on those spacers is alot. The shifter moves, feels and sounds like a toy car's.

One thing is for sure... the outback is not in the list of options for my next car.

Reply to
AS

Just rode in my brother's and he said it is the best car he's ever owned. Automatic but I can't say there was anything to complain about. Brother is retired from working for GM dealers in service and sales. He now works part time for a car rental outfit so I'd say he is a well qualified judge of cars.

Oh, he did have one complaint: not enough snow last winter to see how AWD would handle it ;)

Reply to
Frank

Well, what brand did you say he worked with?

This comparis> >

Reply to
AS

It is his first Subaru so there is no comparison with a different model yea= r. He worked mainly for GM dealers and working in car rentals, his first retir= ement car was a Nissan Sentra and he bought the Outback after getting snowe= d in his development for several days 2 years ago. He's had the Outback a = year. I think it is a 2012 but could be a 2011. He said it was the best c= ar he ever had and he did not find one single thing wrong with it. I've got 2 Foresters, an '03 and '08 for wife and I and we are very happy w= ith them except for premature failure of head gasket on '03.

Reply to
Frank

That's good or bad?

Reply to