2002 Forester noisy valve lifters!

Searching this group, sounds like many owners have this problem. Ticka-ticka-ticka-ticka. I noticed it more when the engine was cold and in cold weather, but in the last year or so, it has been more prevalent in warmer weather than ever before. REALLY noticable.

1) Does it hurt anything to not address it? 2) We're at 75k miles, and I read that timing belt is due at 105k miles. OK, so is this one of those deals where if the timing belt breaks we bend these valves?

thanks,

Chuck in Masachusetts

Reply to
cewyattjr

Common thing in Subarus. What type of engine oil are you using? Some people say a good synthetic oil helps.

Timing belt breakage is definately bad juju, but I don't think it's related to the lifter noise.

Reply to
Dmitriy

Yeah, I definitely don't need the bad juju. I had a timing belt "slip" on my VW New Beetle when I lost the water pump at 90k miles. It was bad and very expensive to fix.

This is the 2.5l 4cyl, and I think it is single cam according to what I've read.

I'm using Castrol synthetic blend, but I should probably switch to Mobil 1, I'm wondering if 10w 40 or 5w 30 is better?

Thanks,

Chuck

Reply to
cewyattjr

As another option, there is a 5w-40 Rotella synthetic.

fyi

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Ummm. I have a 93 Legacy Turbo which has had valve lifter rattle for

110K and hasn't got any worse, m> Searching this group, sounds like many owners have this problem.
Reply to
fopetesl

Hi Peter,

I think the Forester is a 2.3 liter SOHC. Dang noisy, though. My other car is a VW TDI (Diesel), and that is noisy but it is *supposed* to be!

-Chuck

Reply to
cewyattjr

I'm pretty confident the Forester is 2.5 liter SOHC. I believe Subaru used the same 2.5 liter EJ25 in all 2000+ N/A 4 banger models.

I actually never heard of a 2.3 liter Subaru engine. I know there is a

1.8, a 2.0, a 2.2, a 2.5, and a 3.0 6 cyl.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Dmitriy

Was a 2.7 6 cyl. for a few years too. (-;

~Brian

Reply to
strchild

I think also a 3.3l 6? not sure