2002 impreza. low/high beam switch?

The low beam of my 2002 Impreza's left headlamp doesn't work, but the high beam is OK. Looking at the right (working) headlamp, it appears that both the high and low beam come from the same bulb, i.e. it appears that it's not the bulb that is the problem. Is this something I can diagnose myself with a multimeter and repace?

Reply to
runcyclexcski

Just change the bulb...

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

yeah, i just realized that the high and low beams are all the same bulb. Duh!

Reply to
runcyclexcski

As Stewart suggests, you _probably_ have a bad bulb; both hi and lo filaments are in the same glass envelope, and share a common leg (+12v).

If a new lamp doesn't fix things, you may have a melted headlight connector (damned DRL's). If this is the case, you'll probably notice when you go to replace the bulb, but do keep the possibility in mind in any event.

If the connector is bad, you'll have to get another at a salvage yard and graft it in. I've had to do this twice on my wife's '02 Forester; she won't let me disable the DRL's.

If you're still not able to get it to work, email direct and I'll send along the appropriate pages from the wiring diagram. With these and a voltmeter, you should have no trouble isolating the fault.

ByeBye! S.