2002 Impreza RS Problems

Just recently there have been some gremlins with my 2002 Impreza 2.5 RS. First the car would not start and you could hear an electric type of buzzing sound. The tow truck driver tried and said he got it to start my jiggling the gear shifter. This has not re-occurred for about a month now. The second is that the car's engine sensor shows that it is overheating. Today after driving for about 15 minutes the heat went all the way to the top but would go down to 2/3 then back up and then down and up and so forth. The engine fan was fully running as you could clearly hear it from outside the car and I am pretty sure it is usually somewhat silent. Is this just a sensor, would the car not seize if it was actually running that hot? I brought it in to a mechanic (2.5hrs to a dealer) a few weeks ago and he said he could not see any problems (like loose connections or such). The car has been driven quite a bit and has 84000kms on it already. I live in Northern Ontario Canada and the roads are not very good. The head gasket was replaced about 6 months ago for leaking fluids and has had all needed maintenance. I would like to get this sorted out hopefully before the full warranty runs out, if this would even be covered by the remaining warranty. Anyway any help is appreciated.

Reply to
Damian Slaughter

I dont know to much about Subarus but it may be the thermostat. I had a friend with a chevy truck that did that with the temp gauge. I told him to change the thermostat. Then one day he went to pass someone and the truck died. Pulled the dipstick out and it was full of antifreeze. Its not an expensive part or a hard job to do.The themostat blocks off coolent flow to the heads till it reaches a certin temp then opens up. It could be malfuctioning, not opening then opening and closeing when it shouldnt be causing the sudden rise and fall of the temp

Reply to
Michael Prosek