2002 Outback Sport brakes click

I have a 2002 Outback Sport with about 82k miles, and I've recently started hearing a click or pop sometimes when I apply the brakes. It occurs as the car has almost come to a complete stop. The sound reminds me of a relay or solenoid, but I'm not sure that it is either of those. It's always a single click; it doesn't repeat. It also doesn't always happen. Does anybody have any ideas about what this may be? Thanks!

Reply to
DanYan

That's weird.

But I will offer that in automatics, there is a relay that allows the shifter to move from park that only engages when you hit the brake.

I wonder if something has gone wonky making that relay think the vehicle is in park? Or perhaps you only hear this click when you're in Park?

I recall this triggered the "what the hell is that?" alarm for me until I realized it was a relay saving me from going out of Park without the brake depressed.

Best REgards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.