2002 Outback Update

The update on the puked engine is that the Subaru dealer says he can't tell how it all happened other than to say it threw a rod at the very least. He has part of the rod bearing that went around the crankshaft (the back part) and it's "folded" he says. So, I guess the bolts gave out and in my mind it possibly is a failure of the rod bearing.

Tomorrow I'm going to call Subaru corporate and see if they'll offer anything. We'll see....but I won't hold my breath. It's just a lot harder with me in the Midwest and the car out in Laramie.

I feel so bad since my Son spent $8700 on the car purchase to have for school and we paid for the 120,000 service (new trans, clutch, plus...) and now this....$4700 for a new engine and we just can't afford another car right now since I haven't worked in 8 years due to health issues.

Reply to
Thomas Bates

There are 2 possible scenarios that quickly come to mind, both involving fluid in the cylinder.

1) leaky head gasket, coolant leaked into cylinder, just the right amount, and just the right engine position that the engine started, piston stopped moving near the top of the bore and the crank position was such that the leverage was enough to bend the rod (in compression!) which then tore otself apart as the engine continued running. 2) same thing, but a leaky fuel injector, with the intake valve for that cylinder open, and fuel collected in the cylinder.

Seems unlikely, but there's an unlucky bastard on one of the subie forums that let the fuel drain into the intake when changing a fuel injector.

The engine cranked, ran, and promptly threw a rod through the engine case under the intake manifold.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

As I wrote in another thread, this vehicle had just passed it's 110,000 mile Subaru maintenance with flying colors as far as the engine was concerned. There were other things, but nothing save for some new gaskets on rocker/valve covers that were needed. It also had a new water pump, TB and so on.

How the things you suggest could have happened 10 days after this maintenance is a bit odd, I'd say. The ONLY possible cause the Subaru dealer offered was that the engine could have over-revved if that's possible while going 75 on the highway. When this event happened the engine made no sound, the "check engine" light came on and it stopped.

Reply to
Thomas Bates

Yeah, that is pretty darn odd. Metallurgical failure, oil pump failure maybe?

The rods go within a few seconds if the oil pressure drops.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Check engine light came on, and then it stopped. No sounds, no nothing. All the oil is in the care save for any that came out the hole punched by the rod. There was also a tear in a CV joint and we don't know if that's related somehow.

I called Subaru USA and they're looking into it but so far I've not heard anything. They could be having the dealer tear down the engine, I don't know since the outback is in Laramie, Wyoming. Perhaps I'll hear something next week.

Ideally, we're hoping Subaru will provide and engine and we'd pay the labor for installation. Ideally that is!

Reply to
Thomas Bates