2003 Forester--Dealer Thinks I Need Flush & Fill

At my 60K check up the dealer thinks my car needs an automatic xmission flush and fill, $150. Opinions on the need?

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

Reply to
W. Watson

Edward Hayes

The claim of the dealer is that non-automatic methods clean out a low percentage of the residue. It takes an hour.

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

Reply to
W. Watson

Do what the manual says. This will honor the manufactures warranty. Anything else is above and beyond.

Reply to
Stephen H

In talking with service once again, they mentioned there are 10 quarts of fluid in the transmission and not all of it will drain out, only 5 quarts. I told them not do anything to the fluid. My dealer is 30 miles away, and I'll have any necessary further work on the fluid done here locally. I have no idea at this point what the manual says at this point about the fluid, since the manual is in the car at the dealer. I'll look into it when I get my car back.

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

Reply to
W. Watson

The ATF (Dextron III) don't need to be replaced!! you only have to check the ATF-level every 30 k miles.

it's all in the (maintenance) books....

Wilco

"Stephen H" schreef in bericht news:Tff2h.5611$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

Reply to
Wvd

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

Reply to
W. Watson

when measuring the ATF-level you can test the quality by smelling the ATF-oil (no "burning" smell) and ofcourse the ATF-filter (which also don't needs to be replaced) filter the small metal pieces.

"W. Watson" schreef in bericht news:P%p2h.1199$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Wvd

At our shop (A Subaru Dealership) all cars get a drain and fill of all trans fluids and diff fluids at all 30,000 service. They do offer a upgraded flush, and at my past shop I would do them all the time. I do believe in them and don't think they harm anything. I do prefer to do them on cars that haven't followed the manufacture recommended service interval or who's fluid looks a bit darker than normal (also if you experienced a overheat on the engine it is good to "Get all the fluid changed" But to maintain the factory warranty all you need is a drain and fill. This is what the MANUFACTURE has determined what is needed.

Reply to
Stephen H

Drain it once, refill the amount drained. Drive a few miles, drain again and replace the amount. Add Lubegard ATF protectant to help keep the ATF temp lower. heat kills the ATs.

Total cost, $60 and an afternoon of your time.

Reply to
Huffer