2003 Forester (MT) brake pedal woes

To get rid of my 2004 Civic Si, whose ride was too harsh for my 71-year- old bones, I swapped it for a 2005 Accord for my wife so I could grab her

2003 Forester with manual transmission.

The Forester is quite as much fun to drive as the Civic Si, and more comfortable, but I'm having trouble with the brake pedal. When I mash it down my size 12 foot also hits the gas pedal... with a nasty roar when I'm trying to brake. I've somewhat adapted by cocking my brake foot at a slightly uncomfortable angle but am beginning to wonder if the brake pedal is set too low.

The Forester has not been driven much (only 12k miles) and never been back to the dealer for a checkup. Is the brake pedal height adjustable? I don't believe brake wear or fluid loss is the culprit... perhaps the Japanese simply have narrower feet :^(

Any comments or advice welcome.

BTW, I absolutely do NOT miss the Civic Si. Even without turbo, our Forester zooms very nicely. On a recent long highway trip my Garmin GPS navigator recorded a max speed of 94.1 in a passing situation. I highly recommend the Garmin 2610.

Reply to
Charles Gillen

Edward Hayes

I have had this happen to me also with my size 9.5 foot in a 2005 Forester XS with the manual transmission. Normally it occurs when I am wearing boots that are wider than narrow shoes.

The Japanese do have shorter feet, but just as wide. I have gotten more use to it, and just have been more careful about foot placement.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Yeah, the pedals seem close together. Sometimes, when my right foot is on the brake pedal, I go for the clutch pedal with my left foot, and I accidentally press my right foot, causing me to brake harder than I mean to. It doesn't get out of control, but still, it's unexpected. I am adjusting to it, though.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

Many thanks to Blair and the two other persons who responded. Guess I'll just have to be careful where I put my foot. Also, I'll ask the dealer when my car is next serviced.

Reply to
Charles Gillen