2003 forester rpm question

Are the rpm suppose to be on the high side. I'm doing about 60mph and the rpm are about 2000 Also is there always a ticking noise from the engine? It goes away when the rpm are at a normal cruising speeds

Reply to
swicz

Probably the timing belt tensioner. Goes away when the engine warms up and the oil gets thinner. Yeah, normal for these cars.

Reply to
Todd H.

Very normal for a late Subie. It's actually on the low side for most 4 cylinder cars. My 2000 OBW has the same drivetrain, same RPM.

Some are quieter than others, but every Subie I've been close to has some valvetrain noise. Later Soobs have a timing belt tensioner that is known to be noisy. Todd and Carl probably have better info than I do on this.

Reply to
nobody >