2003 Forester XS. Headgasket replacement at 45k. Adjust valves too?

My 2003 Forester XS, 45k miles, is at the dealer getting the headgaskets replaced under waranty. The dealer service guy called and said I should get the valves adjusted for an additional 2hrs labor ($240) while they're doing the headgaskets.

He mentioned that that way I don't need to do it at 60k miles.

  1. I looked at my service guide and I don't see it for 60k mile or any other scheduled service interval.

  1. Is it really gonna take an houre per side extra labor to adjust when reinstalling the heads or is the labor figure inflated?

Also, at least one bank was adjusted around 15 or 20k miles to fix a cold misfire problem.

Should I spend to $240 on the valve adjustment?

Thanks!

Reply to
myusenetacct

Sorry about replying to my own post.

A little checking says that removing the rocker assembly is part of the head removal process, so as far as I can tell valve adjustment should be performed as waranty work as part of the headgasket replacement.

Reply to
myusenetacct