2003 Legacy Outback - Burnt grease smell - Not the boot

Just so there is a record of this problem as a separate news tread.

The wife began to notice the burnt grease smell, so familiar due to the inner CVJ boot failure. As usual I thought, the boot must be torn, so I ordered the boot kit.

To my surprise the boot was perfect, but the oil seal was leaking. Upon disassembly, I found that the seal was good, but it was leaking because the ring gear bearing inner race was spinning on the ring bearing carried, generating metal particles that lodged on the oil seal lip, causing it to fail. This bearing problem could become a good reason to replace the car.

Just a reminder to replace and keep the front differential oil in perfect shape. It seems that the catalytic converter being so close to the transmission cooks more than the CVJ rubber boots.

I hope everyone else, unlike me, has the gods of bearing fits on their side.

Reply to
AS

Thanks for posting that.

Let me ask a dumb question.... how do you check the front diff level? I'm sure it's in my manual somewhere, but the wife has the car and the manual at present and you've got me thinkin bout it now. :-)

Reply to
Todd H.

In the AT there is a dipstick, right behind the axle, on the right hand side (passenger side)

Look not > AS writes:

Reply to
AS

One thing I've noticed on the wife's 03 H6 OBW is how poorly/loosely the little dipstick sits in the opening. There is an o-ring there, but I doubt it seals very well. If I were to change the diff fluid early, what would be a good iol to put in there? Just the Subaru fluid or is there a better alternative?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Is this something to be looking for under the hood, or is it accessed from underneath on the ground?

I must be lucky that regular mtc schedule has been done and nothing weird has happened. My 2001 I bought new has 122k on it now, and I don't this. *smacks forehead*

Thanks for the illumination.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

It's a tiny little thing, just forward of the firewall down low. It is a little difficult to get too, though on my car it's easier than the tranny stick which must be bent from under some other stuff.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan