2003 Subaru WRX alarm system

Hey, just wonderin if anyone out there can help me understand a bit how this alarm system is supposed to work... or in my case, and more importantly why it didn't work or how someone bypassed it. My WRX had the factory alarm system in it. It just recently got stolen and no luck yet in finding it. But I guess my main question is - How does one go about disarming that alarm without breaking anything? Anyone have a clue? I'd apreciate it.

Reply to
yellowwrxboy

alarm system is supposed to work... or in my case, and more importantly why it didn't work or how someone bypassed it. My WRX had the factory alarm system in it. It just recently got stolen and no luck yet in finding it. But I guess my main question is - How does one go about disarming that alarm without breaking anything? Anyone have a clue? I'd apreciate it.

Reply to
JaySee

this alarm system is supposed to work... or in my case, and more importantly why it didn't work or how someone bypassed it. My WRX had the factory alarm system in it. It just recently got stolen and no luck yet in finding it. But I guess my main question is - How does one go about disarming that alarm without breaking anything? Anyone have a clue? I'd apreciate it.

It's an OEM alarm, therefore its junk. Sorry. All that is needed is a code grabber for someone to stake out your car and then wait for you to arm/disarm the vehicle. Then, after they have gotten the code, then can then retransmit it back to the car and unlock the vehicle. After that its just a matter of breaking the ignition cylinder and hotwiring the car. Could be done in under 3 minutes by a pro.

If you want a real alarm, get one that has a shock sensor, door sensors, glass break sensors, ignition lockout (prevents car from starting duning an alarm condition), hood pin switch, trunk pin switch, etc... Also one that has paging abilities is nice at times too so you can monitor the vehicle as long as you are in range. There are several manufacturers that make vehicle tracking modules as well. Also, you will want to make sure that the wire going to the parking lights from the alarm is fused as well, otherwise a thief can drill a small hole in the taillight, bust the parking light bulb out w/ a small screwdriver, shove a piece of aluminum foil in the light socket and break a window which will cause a 1/2 second chirp from the alarm before it blows its primary fuse thereby rendering it inoperable.

I also have another method of protecting the car from hotwiring that involves a $1 spdt relay and your cigarette lighter. Essentially it makes the car inoperable unless the cigarette lighter is pressed in.

Reply to
WRXtreme

The alarm on a Subaru is a waste of money -- the car has a $6 key (retail). Subarus are some of the easiest cars to break into and steal, which is why I saved the $200 when I got my WRX and put it away for when it goes get stolen for sympathy Jagermeister...

If you want a car that's hard to steal, get a Mercedes (yuck) or a VW (double yuck).

Reply to
?fooguy?