2004 Forester rear differential shudder/chatter

Threaded View

Hi- just got a 2004 Forester 2.5X w/ 20k miles, runs great, but noticed
that when I shift into drive and apply gas immediately (within 2-3
secs) there's a pronouced shudder from what feels like the rear end.
I'm guessing it's the AWD system getting the rear differential in snyc,
I've never had an AWD car, and I need to know if this is normal or
not???

pls email as well as post- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

thanks!
Reid

Re: 2004 Forester rear differential shudder/chatter

  I assume it an automatic. Very frist thing to do, is make certain all
4 tires are the same brand, style and size. Try so slow tight
circles/figure 8s in a parking lot. Jerkiness is sign of moderate to
very expensive transmission work required. (center differential)

Carl

--
to reply, change  ( .not)  to  ( .net)

Re: 2004 Forester rear differential shudder/chatter

A 2 year old car...with a measly 20K miles...makes you really wonder
about Subaru's poor design.
Unless someone beat this car like a stray coyote, this should not happen...

Re: 2004 Forester rear differential shudder/chatter

If the design were poor, THOUSANDS would be posting about the problem,
and Subaru would no longer exist. The problem he is ahving may very well
have been caused by ignorance/abuse and if it isn't - may be covered
under warranty.

Do you know anything about the AWD system in a Subaru? Do you know why I
  wrote what I did?

Please enlighten us as to Subaru's poor design. We're waiting for your
expertise in the matter.

Carl

--
to reply, change  ( .not)  to  ( .net)

Re: 2004 Forester rear differential shudder/chatter

I would imagine he is referring to the cooling system, the fuel rails, the
electrical system, the crappy paint, the stereo amps that catch fire...thats
just for starts....
maybe thats what he is referring to.....

Re: 2004 Forester rear differential shudder/chatter

Gee: I guess I am the lucky ONE. 111,000 miles and to date I have
replaced the following. One head light bulb, one over head clock, one
set of brake pads, 5 sets of wiper blades, 3 sets of tires. I'm sure
I've forgotten something but, what the heck, maybe my next Subaru will
be trouble free. Eddie

Re: 2004 Forester rear differential shudder/chatter

I know of no brand that does not exhibit those same failures plus more.

I own 2 Subarus have yet to experience any of those on your list.

Still waiting for his expertise.

Carl

--
to reply, change  ( .not)  to  ( .net)

Re: 2004 Forester rear differential shudder/chatter

Try not giving gas as quick andsee what happens.  My 04 OBW does
something similar when I put it in drive and  hit the gas immediately.
It feels an awful lot like the rear wheels are engaging like in the
snow.  Remember the rear wheels are only getting 10% or so of the power
normslly sand a quick start shift the weight of the car causing AWD to
engage.

Re: 2004 Forester rear differential shudder/chatter

new news- took it to subaru and they found some problem with the
tranny, so they replaced it.  seemed to fix the prob.  then it did it
again- once.  i wasn't able to replicate it like i was before, but
today i found that if i reverse on a hill, shift to drive and drive up
the hill, it shudders.  not heavy gas, not immediately gassing it when
i shift, it's definately a fault.  i've had the car to subaru as well
as an indie mechanic and no one seems to think it's the tires although
tommorrow morning i'll double-check.

since it's under warranty i might just have them replace the whole
drivetrain, what the hell.  this may soon turn into a referendum on how
good subaru's warranty service actually is.

or i might just try to return it to carmax.  i don't think i'll be
shopping there again.

reid

Site Timeline