2004 Forester rear differential shudder/chatter

Hi- just got a 2004 Forester 2.5X w/ 20k miles, runs great, but noticed that when I shift into drive and apply gas immediately (within 2-3 secs) there's a pronouced shudder from what feels like the rear end.
I'm guessing it's the AWD system getting the rear differential in snyc, I've never had an AWD car, and I need to know if this is normal or not???
pls email as well as post- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
thanks! Reid
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

4 tires are the same brand, style and size. Try so slow tight circles/figure 8s in a parking lot. Jerkiness is sign of moderate to very expensive transmission work required. (center differential)
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

A 2 year old car...with a measly 20K miles...makes you really wonder about Subaru's poor design. Unless someone beat this car like a stray coyote, this should not happen...
Porgy Tirebiter wrote:

If the design were poor, THOUSANDS would be posting about the problem, and Subaru would no longer exist. The problem he is ahving may very well have been caused by ignorance/abuse and if it isn't - may be covered under warranty.
Do you know anything about the AWD system in a Subaru? Do you know why I wrote what I did?
Please enlighten us as to Subaru's poor design. We're waiting for your expertise in the matter.
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

electrical system, the crappy paint, the stereo amps that catch fire...thats just for starts.... maybe thats what he is referring to.....
Gee: I guess I am the lucky ONE. 111,000 miles and to date I have replaced the following. One head light bulb, one over head clock, one set of brake pads, 5 sets of wiper blades, 3 sets of tires. I'm sure I've forgotten something but, what the heck, maybe my next Subaru will be trouble free. Eddie
Eric Cartman wrote:

I know of no brand that does not exhibit those same failures plus more.
I own 2 Subarus have yet to experience any of those on your list.
Still waiting for his expertise.
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Try not giving gas as quick andsee what happens. My 04 OBW does something similar when I put it in drive and hit the gas immediately. It feels an awful lot like the rear wheels are engaging like in the snow. Remember the rear wheels are only getting 10% or so of the power normslly sand a quick start shift the weight of the car causing AWD to engage.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

new news- took it to subaru and they found some problem with the tranny, so they replaced it. seemed to fix the prob. then it did it again- once. i wasn't able to replicate it like i was before, but today i found that if i reverse on a hill, shift to drive and drive up the hill, it shudders. not heavy gas, not immediately gassing it when i shift, it's definately a fault. i've had the car to subaru as well as an indie mechanic and no one seems to think it's the tires although tommorrow morning i'll double-check.
since it's under warranty i might just have them replace the whole drivetrain, what the hell. this may soon turn into a referendum on how good subaru's warranty service actually is.
or i might just try to return it to carmax. i don't think i'll be shopping there again.
reid