2004 Forester XT 5SP with Leather and Sunroof - import from Canada?

Hello all, I'm really interested in an 04 Forester XT with a 5SP MT, but alas, I can't get it with leather interior and sunroof. I called a dealership in Ontario, and they have just what I want in stock. Does anyone know if buying it there and bringing it back to the US would be foolish (taxes, legal issues, etc.)? I'm pretty sure I could get the federal and provincial Canadian taxes refunded and that I'd owe state sales tax here. The converted-currency MSRP seems similar to here. Of course, I'd have to get used to metric gauges...

Rod

Reply to
Swifty66

Well, that's pretty much exactly what I have here in California. I made the dealer do the work as it was *not* offered in the options packages. I guess that Subaru assumes that sunroofs and leather seats are only of value in vehicles with AT's for the 'Lazy Americans' who can't use a MT.

When I purchased my '04 Forester XT, I made the dealer add these items. (basically for free I might add!) The sunroof is the shorter one that you find on the Baja, but I can live with that. The leather seats are being made.

I'd think that you should have no real trouble getting on from Canada and importing it. There may be a few safety and equipment issues to work out though.

Cheers, Michael

Reply to
Lord Drool Rockworm

"Lazy"??!? How insensitive! I know how to use manual transmissions through years of experience. I've simply reached the shiftless period of my life. Just wait. You'll see. Shiftless happens.

HW

Reply to
H. Whelply

Hee hee hee!

It's so annoying when I travel to Europe: You are an American, so you must want a big car with an AT. Not for me! Just give me the smallest P.O.S. car you have with a MT and I'll be pleased as punch!

Yes, I know. I'm getting there myself - but I hope for not a while yet.

I've already gone through on herniated disk in my back. It's all down hill from there! (or was that 'It's all down hill from High School'?)

It's only a matter of time before I become 'shiftless' myself!

Cheers! Michael

Reply to
Lord Drool Rockworm

Hear, hear! Right on, HW! I've driven manual most of my 63 years and for the first time in that life, I no longer own a manual tranny. And I like it, too! I agree, he'll see; shiftless happens! (okay, maybe I am a little lazy)

Reply to
GTT