2004 Impreza TS, Impreza Outback Sport

I'm currently looking at these two cars. Most of what is present on the Outback Sport, that I'd like to have, could easily be added later to the TS as accessories, apart the heating seats maybe.

What about the suspension ? The only information I've seen is the text in the brochure saying something to the effect that the Outback Sport's is higher and more robust.

I drive often enough on dirt roads and might be interested in a suspension that would be better able to handle washboard, potholes and deep snow over the long term.

I took a few measurements on both models and there really isn't much difference in clearance. For instance, the distance from the top of the front tire to the top of the wheel well lip is 3" or slighty more on a TS, and about 3" on the OBS with the mags and smaller tires. Not much difference there.

I then measured the distance from the bottom of the body, right at the rear of the front wheel well, to the ground and it was 9-1/4" on the OBS and 9" on the TS.

One difference I can think of is slightly less unsprung weight due to the mags (2-3 pounds per wheel).

So what exactly is the difference ? Different struts ? Better bushings ? Anybody know ?

A second thing : if I bought the OBS, for the winter I'd like to put on 15" steel wheels, off the TS, with winter tires (as opposed to the 16" mags on the OBS).

One dealer has said no problem. Three dealers have said the brake calipers on the two models are different and the 15" will rub somewhere.

I have not seen any mention anywhere that the OBS might have different brakes than the TS. Does anybody know ? Has anyone successfully put 15" steel wheels on a 2004 OBS ?

Thanks.

Reply to
Paul Pedersen

I just bought an impreza outback sport 2004 2 weeks ago the added features were worth it and it looks better the higher and stronger suspension is good

I got a set of 15 steel wheels from a forester ...they fit fine. they came with used tires so I am using up the old tires until I change to the snows. this saves my original 16's until next spring. ill put 195 / 65 snow tires on the rims. that is equal to the 205 / 55 16's that came with it.

I am getting higher than the rated fuel consumption too :)))

38 miles per gallon canadian gallons. the rating is 36 37 mpg in mixed driving city / highway Yes i do drive conservative and gentle..... rev it out and there goes the gas !!

Brian

Reply to
al gu