2004 Subaru Legacy Headlights

Hi there

Has anyone else noticed that the dip (low beam) headlights on a 2004 (new shape) legacy don't seem to have a very big range?

If I travel on a road with no street lights then it is nearly impossible to see more than about 2 metres in front of the car.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this and what they did to overcome it - i.e. if changed the bulbs, what type?

Thanks.

regards. Matthew

Reply to
mgallen

The light on my 04 outback are fine. The sylvania silverstar bulbs helped a lot though

Reply to
bigjim

shape) legacy don't seem to have a very big range?

My '01 OBW had terrible headlights. I ended up aiming them very slightly up, about 1/2 way between the stock setting and the high beam.

That was one of my only complaints on an otherwise fine car.

Reply to
B a r r y

can't complain about the lights on the legacy! compared to my previous vw golf4 it is really night & day...

Reply to
dirk dierickx

I aimed the fog lights up slightly so they light almost the same range in front as the low beams, so I sort of use the fog lights as my low beams a lot. Also lights the side of the road a bit, which helps to spot deer.

shape) legacy don't seem to have a very big range?

to see more than about 2 metres in front of the car.

it - i.e. if changed the bulbs, what type?

Reply to
Alan

Dealers (&many other places) in Aus have carried various plus power globes of the same wattage for some years now. That makes a fair but of difference with the previous model, but IMO the reflector design is still crap, especially on low beam. Philips plus range work well for me and no problems with globe life to date. Plan B is fit a relay and put 130/110 globes in (like I did on my bike) definitely brighter but probably illegal in most places.

Then again, the 7" round concave lens Cibie headlights in my 66 Renault 10 (60/55W QI globes) out performed the headlights in *any* car I've driven since that didn't have auxiliary lighting. So much for progress! Cheers

Reply to
hippo