2005 Forester

Carl,

Methinks Dr. Rasty got the ONE good unit Ford produced that year... my sister, sister-in-law, and several other acquaintances have or have had Explorers over the last 10 years, varying years amongst them. They have registered NO complaints on the Internet about them. Probably cuz the Ford dealers, where they spend SO MUCH of both their time AND money, don't provide Internet access in the customer waiting areas. But in defense of the Explorers, nobody I know has rolled theirs over with a blowout. Yet...

No car's perfect. Dr. Rasty doesn't even own a Subie, so I fail to understand what axe he has to grind here, but even if every single one of us who posts here had ALL the problems he mentions, in the grand scheme of things, considering even that the total number of Subies sold is minuscule compared to Toyota Camries or Ford Explorers or other popular makes, we'd hardly prove the marque unreliable.

Of the various people I've known personally who've had Subies, the one who just hit 150k miles on his is the lowest mileage owner. Many have/had over 200k, mine has 360k (that's miles, not kilometres, and, don't forget, it blew up last week and even Dr. Rasty couldn't say anything bad about the miles it's gone!) I think you'd be hard pressed to find many Explorer owners with that kind of mileage. I don't think I know anyone who could stand one that long (F-series owners being the only Ford owners I know who stick with their vehicles until some big numbers show on the clock. Well, if their ignition switches don't burn them up?) So even though my inputs are strictly anecdotal, I think the rants from a non-owner are unwarranted.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I would have to agree there. My father-in-law works for Ford and insists on purchasing these things every few years. Not only does he take an absolutely huge hit on resale, even with A-Plan discounts, he has had to either dump money into them after the warranty expires or spends an eternity waiting for the warranty repair to be completed. Funny, the majority of failures reported by Fafoofnick were some of the ones experienced in four seperate Explorers. These include paint problems, A/C compressor failure, CEL caused by O2 sensor failures, and finally blown engine due to oil starvation caused by bad castings.

Yes quality certainly is job 1 at Ford.

-Kurt

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack

Well, the Forester XT (FXT) is our 3rd Subaru. We also owned a Legacy and a WRX STi. My wife drove the Legacy on a mail route for 10 years and beat the crap out of it. We traded the STi in on the FXT because my wife just didn't like the STi. I loved the STi. It was a blast to drive. But, truthfully, it wasn't very practical. The Forester is comfortable, smooth riding, and quiet. My wife loves it. The only negative thing I can say about Subaru's is that the Gas mileage stinks! We've been getting about 22 mpg. And that is 95% highway miles. With the current cost of premium gas that hurts. But, then again, we didn't buy the Subaru for it's great gas mileage. We really like Subies AWD system and they have been very reliable and cost effective for us.

Reply to
SilverFXT

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Yes, I suppose SoCal gets as hot as it does here where I live in Australia - up to 45 deg C in summer.

But we have lots of Subarus running around and no more stopped by the side of the road than any other make.

Ron

Reply to
p38arover

Not many places in the US get temperatures of 45C (113F). I believe temperatures like that are rare in SoCal.

Reply to
Tom Reingold

Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to buy the Forester L.L.Bean and so far I am liking it very much. I do miss my Taurus SEL, though.

Thanks again. Your experiences and advice were invaluable.

Mark

Reply to
mn

Tom,

Come on out here in mid-summer and let me show you the error of your thinking!

I live about a half hour from Palm Springs--it will hit those temps EVERY day for weeks, from about the first of July into mid-September. And then we can go out to the desert where it actually gets hot... heck, even on my back porch, at the foot of the mountains (approx 2700 ft elevation) I'll see 110F too frequently for comfort during those same months. Rare? I don't think so!

Now down where I think Dr. Rasty is, 100F is about all it gets. He's much closer to the ocean.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Wow.

Reply to
Tom Reingold

Thanks for the update! Fafoofnick will be dissapointed, I'm sure.

-Kurt

mn wrote:

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack

But you couldn't possibly miss the ugliness of a Taurus. They are so ugly that in Australia they just didn't sell.

Ford were selling 2002 plated models in 2004. Fortunately they are pretty rare here so we don't have to look at them very often. The Falcon is much better looking.

Ron

Reply to
p38arover

Oz again gets a cool car not available in the US.

The Falcon looks like a Mustang hit a BMW 3 series, from the photos.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

Wonder how Ford's fortunes would fare if they sold that car in the US? Pix look good...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright