2005 Forester: advice on mp3/Sirius CD player?

I'd like to replace the factory 6-CD system with something that can:

(a) play mp3s on my mp3 player (which is not an iPod); (b) play mp3s on a CD; (c) play Sirius satellite radio.

I looked on Crutchfield.com and it returned 73 items with an AUX input and satellite ready. Some of those AUX inputs will be on the back, though many seem to be a 3.5mm jack on the front, which I think would be good for the mp3 player (I suppose a rear AUX input might be good, if it's accessible on the fly). And the satellite-radio-ready ones should remove the need for an FM transmitter, which I understand won't work well anyway. I want Sirius for CBC Radio.

Prices are U$120 and up. I don't want to replace speakers or anything else, and the Sony satellite receiver is consistently given a terrible rating, which pushes me away from a Sony, although the units seem reasonable themselves.

Crutchfield also offers installation (InstallCard) for $55, though I wonder how hard it is to install this myself. $55 sounds reasonable but I looked at InstallCard's prices on computer services and if they're anything to go by, this is about twice what it should cost!

Does anyone have advice on all this?

Thanks! =aw

Reply to
Andrew

Is the factory radio a Clarion?

Reply to
David

I don't know, it's whatever came with the 05 XT. I'll check the manual.

Reply to
Andrew

-- mred

Reply to
mred
  1. Here's a kit to give you a jack for your media player. I'm planning to get one but haven't yet.
  2. FM modulator. Mine works great if mounted back by the antenna. On some cars it works up by the driver, but not in my Subaru--reception was poor from there. So I velcroed it back by the left rear window, and ran a wire to the console. The only problem is sometimes I forget to turn it off, and the batteries run down.

  1. Not replacing the speakers? That's all I replaced. The factory speakers sounded bad. At least in my '03.

Reply to
David