2005 Forester XT (USA) .Coolant conditioner needed ???

Re: 2005 Forester XT (USA). I have read many posts about leaking head gaskets, and the need to use the coolant conditioner when changing the coolant. I just had 30,000 mile service and the Subaru service manager advises it's not a problem with the 2005 Turbo models. He also checked to see if there are any TSB's about that, and said there were none. Is he correct, or am I setting myself up for a leak in the future? I don't remember when the gaskets were redesigned. Should I stop in to parts and get the conditioner and add it myself, or is it not really needed. Your opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
QX

If you mistrust them, just have the tech/service writer put 'coolant conditioner not required' on the ticket and sign/date it in case an issue comes up in the future.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I was told the same thing at my Subaru dealer on my 2005 Forester XS at the

30,000 mile service. Everything in writing says add at every coolant change.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

from what I am understanding, the top of the block on the turbo's is closed, or semi closed, with more connections from the cylinders to the sides of the block, so the cylinders don't move, or vibrate and wear the head gasket.

VF

Reply to
houndman

Your warranty requires addition of the conditioner at every coolant change. Failure to provide documentation may result in warranty coverage denial. Saying your service mgr. "said so" -- he will deny it.

Subaru plays hardball with warranty coverage. Be careful.

Reply to
Bob H