2005 Forester XT: what accessories?

I'm planning to get one of the subject vehicles with automatic and cloth seats and wondered what if any accessories are worth considering.

The console extension, while it looks ugly in the pictures, feels like something I might want (I'm tall).

A block heater might be a good idea, though I've never used one in the

14 years I've owned my Explorer.

They list an anti-theft system but there's already an engine immobilizer.

Winter mats are going to be needed but I'm sure I can get cheaper ones almost anywhere.

That's all they show as options on

although
has an Accessories link that includes other things including auto-dimming mirror, battery warmer, bumper corner protectors, car cover, cargo spotlight, cargo bin and cargo nets, turbo gauge pack, hood protector, splash guards, turbo boost gauge, and locking wheel nuts.

Thinking of a remote starter for Canadian winter but there isn't one listed! I asked one dealer and he said he thought the new engine immobilizer conflicted with the security system which was bundled with the remote starter. Is that true? Does Subaru make a remote starter for the Forester XT? What about third parties?

And if you had $1000 to spend on accessories and/or extended warranty, what would you get?

Thanks! =aw

andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]

Reply to
Andrew Webber

we have an auto dimmer on the mirror and it's fantastic. One of the best accessories i've ever had.

Reply to
<BKS>

My ass chewed by my wife for spending a month's grocery money on automobile accessories.

- Greg

Reply to
Ignignokt

:)

andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]

Reply to
Andrew Webber

On my '04 XT I enjoy the console extension: my elbow falls naturally to about that spot, so it's almost like an arm rest. The car came with the rear cargo mat, probably good since I often ride with my dog Daisy, and floor mats. Those black rubber mats are HEAVY DUTY, although I've got an old mat in the garage that probably would have worked just as well.

I like to buy cars without accessories usually. Furthermore, I find that cars selling for around $19,000 and up have just about everything I need in the base model. I don't buy extended warranties. Your first 3? years is covered anyway. After that, I'll take my chances. Most good brands are basically trouble free for 5 years anyway.

Reply to
P T

Thanks for the advice, I'll see how driving without the extension is, then take a look. It might help me, because I'll have the seat way back, but the other driver will have the seat way forward so won't benefit much.

And you're right, most of the useful-sounding accessories already seemed to be standard.