2005 OB Check engine on, cruise light flashing

On my 2005 2.5i OB the "Check Engine" light came on and the green "Cruise" light started flashing at the same time. Stays that way even after restarting several times. Cruise control not working, otherwise all seems OK under hood and running perfectly with 22,000 km on the clock.

Can't get to a dealer for a week, so diagnosis, anyone, please?

Reply to
eachcornerpulling

after the fourth restart if its gone its gone

Reply to
Bob H

I've had the same problem with mine repeatedly, at least six times since late last year. I've had it to my dealer and they've recovered a code pointing to a switch that has been replaced, but the light just keeps coming back. I don't think I'd mind it as much if it didn't take out the cruse control every time it happens!

Rick

Reply to
Richard Stickle

It's exactly the same thing as just the check engine light coming on with an older car. On the newer ones Subaru has them flash the cruise light, and disable the cruise control, in addition to turning on the CEL when a code is set. This is to get your attention as well as to prevent improper operation of the cruise due to a malfunction. In order to find out what the problem is, the code must be read with a scanner and the proper diagnostic procedure followed. If there is an Autozone near you, you can take it there for a free scan and they will tell you what the code is. However do not have them clear the code from memory because you still want your dealer to be able to see it. Once you have the numerical code, in Pxxxx format, you can search online for information regarding that code and its possible causes.

Reply to
mulder

I've had limited success looking up codes on

a lot of codes turn up "not found." Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks, that explains the cruise light.

Pity they didn't think to explain that little feature in the owner's manual. I assume the CE light is a non-critical, emission control problem and so will wait until I can get it to the dealer next week to check the code and fix the problem under warranty.

Reply to
eachcornerpulling