2005 Outback: Cramped gas pedal?

Is there anything especially cramped about the 2005 Outback's gas pedal or is it typical of small cars with a transmission hump?

Reply to
stan

Edward Hayes

I think a lot of it is due to the design of the boxer engine. It sits low and to the back in the engine compartment. I am used to it having had a 2000 OBW for 4 years.

My new 2005 Atlantic Blue OBW is a dream to drive and like another poster said, I use cruise whenever I can but obviously in the poor weather you described it is not always safe to do so.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Joiner

stan wrote: (clip) Is it practical to reposition the gas pedal an inch to the left? Could we get a wider gas pedal and drive with our foot a little closer to the break pedal?(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I am only familiar with the model I drive, a '99 Outback. I have trouble with the brake and gas pedal being too close together. I find myself sometimes feeding gas when I want to brake, and vise versa. It could be just my wide shoes, but I suggest you look carefully before you move anything.

Reply to
l.lichtman

It's funny you should mention it :) I just went from a '98 JGC 5.9L to a '05 Forester. My girlfriend and I took a drive from Philadelphia to Maryland a few weeks back and my foot was really burning up while I was driving. I reverted to cruise control to avoid it on the way home. The gas pedal angle

*is* a little strange and un-ergonomic (if I may make up a word).

- *

- -
Reply to
Styx

The gas pedal is indeed rather awkwardly placed particularly for those of us with wide shoes, so I hope someone can come up with a suitable mod and post it here.

Reply to
teekaynospam

Here's something to try that might help. It may take some time to get used to though. Slide your seat a notch FORWARD, and keep your knees a little farther apart to make up for the shortened distance. This will tend to angle your foot a bit more (moving the heel rest slightly more towards the centre of the space). This will allow more clearance over the hump.

Reply to
Cam Penner

Reply to
Edward Hayes