2005 Subaru Legacy GT

Has anyone driven one of these puppies and willing to comment? thx. =)

Reply to
dan_m

Hello!

I attended Subaru Canada's test drive in Montreal 3 weeks ago and the main things I noticed: The turbo has some lag, nothing you couldn't manage with an MT and experience but annoying with an AT (all test cars were ATs), when the boost comes it is brutal :) :) :) , the car handles well but is limited by its tires, the ride is much better than my 2000 L Wagon and the interior is WAY better, a much more contemporary design, much better materials and fit and finish. The exterior is nice but looks like what it is, an evolution of the previous model.

My 2 cents, hope this helps.

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Dore

I was at Vancouver test drive last week. Beside what Nicolas said I liked steering wheel shifter. This is really nice touch for those who like to have control over transmission.

Excellent instrument panel. I liked the color scheme (light blue numbers with red dials and black background). Also when you put the ignition key and just before you start the engine dials go all the way to the end (kind of POST - power on self test) and all lights are on.

Very quite engine while idling (at least for now 1,250 km on my test car).

Since this was Legacy and I'm driving Outback I've noticed those few inches difference (ground clearance) when entering/exiting car, but it doesn't matter.

Acceleration was awesome. Yes, there was a lag but once it (engine) crosses 2,000~2,200 rpm it accelerates like a space shuttle.

Brakes seems to be better, too. Guys at the test drive were mentioning something that balances weight when braking sharply so that nose of the car doesn't dive and that rear wheels have more grip. This explains less braking distance then my Outback 2002.

All in all I was impressed but not as much as I was when I got my Outback. :-)

Voja

Nicolas Dore wrote:

Reply to
Voja

I haven't driven it, but I plan to. It's a beautiful car.

BSackamano '03 WRX

Reply to
BSackamano

Took a 2005 Legacy GT Limited with manual transmission for a test drive last week. I was really impressed -- I didn't notice any turbo lag with the manual transmission. Perhaps the new electronic throttle control system helps it to feel more responsive. I have driven several WRX's in the past, but the new Legacy GT with its 2.5 liter engine seemed to respond quicker even with a slightly increased pressure on the gas pedal. Only went for about a 25 minute drive in the city and never got over about 60 mph on one road, but it sure felt nice. The most difficult thing would be adjusting my driving habits to all that power -- my wife was along on the test drive and she said that she felt like she had whiplash from the acceleration.

Can't wait to buy a Legacy GT in a year or two -- besides the great performance, the interior is much improved. I really also like the fact that you can get a Legacy GT without all the expensive options such as leather and a moonroof. Those options are available in the GT Limited, but at least you have the option to get the performance without all the luxury.

We are on our fourth Subaru now -- I drive a 92 SVX and my wife drives a 2000 Outback wagon 4-cylinder with automatic. The 2000 Outback has

63,000 miles and the only thing that has been repaired (other than normal service) was a bad sparkplug after the 30,000 mile service.

Reply to
worzacct