2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT

Hey all,

Somewhere online I have see that the price for the 2005 Leagcy 2.5GT Sedan is about US$30k!.......I have never been a Subaru owner so would like some feedback on the reliability and performance of Subaru's in general.

Does anyone know when these models will hit the US markets? I am really eagre to test drive one and decide if indeed its worth 30K as that is a little steep for that car.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Pumba

Define "a little steep for that car"?

Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

From everything I have read about the Legacy GT it appears to be a larger version of the STi. So, I guess you have two choices, the STi or the Legacy GT. Both appear to be the same price. The STi is our second Subaru. I would buy another Subaru.

BlueSTi "Scary-Fast"

Reply to
BlueSTi

Thanks for the response.......I was merely trying to say that a price tag of about 30K is a little pricey for that car when you compare it with competition such as the new 2004 acura TL which for a little more (about

31k) you get way more bang for your buck. However, I do understand that the Legacy will have a Turno engine.......I have never owned or driven a turbo engine car.....hence the reason why I was asking when they will hit the US markets as I would like to take it for a spin.

PS - what is the adv of having a turbo charged engine? how is it diff from a "regular" engine? Any pros/cons?

Reply to
Pumba

It might be steep... it might not. Usually, it's a good idea to drive one before opining about it.

Reply to
Particle Salad

I have a 2000 OBW which has been a loyal servant for 4 years with it has given me very few problems. I am trading up to a base 2005 OBW as soon as they become available in Canada, which looks like June. In fact I have pre-ordered one. It will be without the turbo. I am not as interested in speed or acceleration but if funds allowed I would opt for a turbo, no question. You can't argue with 250 horsepower. It is just that the base model will do for my family's needs. Of course AWD has always been a strong selling point for me and the reason we have a Subaru in the first place.

I have not heard anything adverse about Subaru turbos, in fact, they seem to be developing a good reputation in that department.

One last point. Subaru seems to be slowly creeping upmarket. The price of admission is higher and the range of choices has improved greatly over the past 5 years. I can only hope that I can continue to afford them.

Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

I read somewhere that the percentage of Subarus still on the road that were purchased in the U.S. in the past ten years is the highest or amongst the highest of any car manufacturer. That seems like a good reliability indicator to me. It also might say something about the type of people that buy Subarus.

Performance is there. Handling is exceptional IMHO. Horsepower is available if you want it. If safety features are a buying factor, I don't think you can go wrong with a Subaru there, either.

Don't know. My dealer is aggressively hawking the 2004s to make room for

2005s. I would guess sometime this Q.

It's probably worth the asking price but I guess there is only one way to find out.

You're welcome.

Reply to
RankAndFile

Turbo = Zoom! Test drive a Forester XT and you'll see. Power off all portable electronic devices before takeoff. No smoking.

Reply to
Alan

My mother-in-law thought that I paid too much for my '04 WRX wagon. I got it for $22,500 with short throw shifter,sub woofer ,and ugraded alarm. But, name one car with AWD, turbo, handles like a dream(I got 17x7.5 wheels with

225/45/17), can out run just about any car under $40k (not including the EVO, STI, SRT-4) 0-60 in around 5.5 sec, around 21 mpg, and is still a great daily driver. I was in the market for a car in feb. and I looked at the Madza 6 Wagon(I like the way it looks. but, too slow), the EVO(fast but, I felt I hate it as a daily driver), RX-8(looks great, just too small I'm 6' 230. I hit my head every time I tried to get in), and The STI( I wanted a wagon). Subaru's may seem steep compared the performance model to the cars that are in it segment. But they are alot more car when you add in all the parts. They are at least a sec. faster to 60mph if not more then that rest. I think the GT should do 0-60mph in less than 5.5 sec. Thats bone stock. If you reflash your CPU you will be around 270 or 300hp for $400. That will dip you into the 5sec. flat or maybe the high 4sec. The CPU flash bring the 227hp to 260hp with no other mods and brings the 60 times down to the hi
Reply to
Bryan Lee

I can see you point, but not quite... The Legacy-based models are noticeably larger in the rear seat and cargo areas, more solid ( heavier :-( ), ride smoother, and are quieter. Similarly, if outfitted with the same motor gearing, etc.., they wouldn't be as quick, and would get slightly less mpg - if all else were equal ('course they never are! sob!) And as it stands now, the Legacy will be getting a 250hp motor instead of the STi's 290-300hp. From what I've read, the GT's motor will be tuned for a bit more torque at low rpms. Subaru's '05 Legacies:

Terry - '02 Regatta-Red 5spd Legacy GT wagon, 29,000 miles, Yakima / TandeMover / Rockymount rack. '03 Silver Legacy SE auto-sedan - 6150 miles. '85 CH250 - 4060miles! To reply, get rid of the "nonsense"

Reply to
TW-Ohio

For $30k you'll get good reliability and sporty handling (for a solidly built decent sized 3600lb car) because of the motor's 250hp, and low cg, and fulltime AWD. I don't think $30k is too steep for the GT Limited (read all that it includes), but it is a nice handful of $$$. The GT model can be had for a bit less, and lacks some of the luxury items but is otherwise quite close the the trim level of the '02&'03 GT's: Subies '05 Legacy site;

New Legacies are usually available in late Sept at the earliest, to earlyNovember, depending upon trim and drivetrains (manual trannies usually afterautos, IIRC. I know I had to wait for a manual 5spd - and there are far fewerof them too). Terry - '02 Regatta-Red 5spd Legacy GT wagon, 29,000 miles, Yakima / TandeMover / Rockymount rack. '03 Silver Legacy SE auto-sedan - 6150 miles. '85 CH250 - 4060miles! To reply, get rid of the "nonsense"

Reply to
TW-Ohio

I think the sales guys are catching on.

Last time I went to pickup my 95 Legacy at the dealer after routine maintenance I found it all shiny and washed (incl tires and dash!) and parked by the sales entrance!!

-- Dominic Richens | snipped-for-privacy@alumni.uottawa.ca "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

Reply to
Dominic Richens

"TW-Ohio" wrote in part:

| New Legacies are usually available in late Sept at the earliest, to early | November, depending upon trim and drivetrains (manual trannies usually after | autos, IIRC. I know I had to wait for a manual 5spd - and there are far fewer | of them too).

The 2005 Legacy and Outback are due in the May-June timeframe and have been in production in Lafayette, Indiana for weeks now....

john cline ii, who hopes that helps

Reply to
john cline ii