2006 2.5i Wagon - Has Your Gas Milage Decreased Since New?

Bought my wagon Memorial Day weekend of 2006, have almost 10,000 miles on it.

Was clocking 30MPG (mostly highway driving to work, 30 miles each way) till my dealer did the first oil change on it.

Haven't seen 30MPG since, now clocking 28-29 MPG.

I'm guessing they reset the air pressure back to factory specs which I didn't catch for awhile, so I reset it back to 3-5PSI higher, but still only get 29MPG at best.

I would have thought with the engine now broken in, the MPG would have gone up, am I right?

Could it be a result of the change in gas we use here in the Northeast (NY) during the fall/winter months?

Driving habits haven't changed, I know this is a petty concern, just wondering why I'm seeing a drop off in my MPG.

Thanks in advance

-MACE-

Reply to
MACE

They may have put in 10w-30 instead of 5w-30 oil. I have not had a change in mileage for the 6 new autos I have bought. Of course the most mileage I ever put on was 67,000 miles, maybe it takes more to "break one in".

My 2005 Forester XS gets 25~30 mpg mostly highway miles. Now at 33,000 miles it is still in the same range as when new. It gets in the lower range in winter due to the fuel change.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Winter gas formulations have more oxygenates than normal, so worse mileage is to be expected. Wait until you see what increased subsidies for ethanol will do to both you car and your wallet.

Reply to
BobN

Your mileage decrease sounds about right for winter gas.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Mace, Did you use the same pump to fill up? I often notice some variance from buying gas at different stations,as different pimps shut off. I think you have to look at avg. mileage over time. My 2005 forester 5 sp manual's average mpg at 1000 miles was 25.11 now 2 years later the cumulative avg. at 39000 miles is 26.73 mpg I'm happy as I drive it often in a spirited manner. My commute is 50 miles/day in mixed traffic conditions. I'm happy with the mileage, but will consider a diesel in '09 if a Forester is available.

-- mred

Reply to
mred

All cars drop in the winter, I am New Englander too... all engines all cars. The bigger the intake, the worse it gets... Coincidentally , fuel mileage has been in my thoughts as well on my 20 year old Subaru. I climb into the mid-high 30's, as expected, but cold does suck it down, as expected. Nothing compares, even with the old carbeurator never rebuilt. I am still trying to figure out exactly the benefits of fuel injection.... for 2.5 liters, they could have done better, it is no doubt the gigantic intake.

Reply to
bgd

A change from 30 to 29 is pretty slim. Along with the winter gas suggestion, add the air filter with 10K miles of dirt, and the change in your driving style.

Reply to
CompUser

Yes, 90% of the time I pump from the same gas station

Looks like my lower MPG is a result of the different fuel used in the winter.

Thanks everyone for the feedback

-MACE-

Reply to
MACE

I have a 1996 Leg Outback 2.5 lucky if we are getting 21mpg but we are working on the problem whatever it is

"CompUser" wrote: > In article @a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>, snipped-for-privacy@ans.net > says... > > > I'm guessing they reset the air pressure back to factory > specs which I > > didn't catch for awhile, so I reset it back to 3-5PSI > higher, but > > still only get 29MPG at best. > > A change from 30 to 29 is pretty slim. Along > with the winter gas suggestion, add the air > filter with 10K miles of dirt, and the change in > your driving style.

Reply to
burdock

my 2002 Outback with manual transmission takes from 20 to 26 MPG depending on weather and most of all speed. 26 MPG is achievable at about steady 65MPH.

A.

Reply to
alf

I do better with my 1995 3.3L Chrysler.