2006 Forester Oil Change Problem HELP

I bought a 2006 Forester 5 Speed at the end of 2/06. I called Subaru and asked about oil changes. They told me that it didn't have to be done until 7,500 miles. To date I only have about 5,000 miles on the car! Well, I recently started looking around for a shop that can do it for me. I used to do it myself on my other cars but I am older and busy! Well, to my confusion, when I went to the owners manual it says the oil must be changed at 7.5 months or 7,500 miles, whichever comes first. I called around to make an appointment and was told that I could have caused engine problems and shortened the life of the engine by waiting 5 months or so beyond when I should have changed it. I was told that because with such short mileage the trips were most likely brief, that this in and of itself can cause engine problems. I see in the warranty book that it calls for a signature of the oil being changed at

7.5 months or 7,500 miles in order to comply with the warranty. I have an appointment to get the oil changed tomorrow morning. Is this potentially a big problem? Now that I know, I will change it every 6 months or so unless I start putting on much more mileage. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply to
Michael Roback

Stop worrying.

You could not have possibly hurt the engine as long as there was oil in it. The bastards are just trying to guilt you into using their service.

Learn how to change it yourself and sign off the logbook yourself. I've done it with three new Subarus and never had a problem. Save the oil and filter receipts though.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

That's what I do. I keep a book on my cars and write up all dates, mileage and service if done by others or myself. Years ago, I had a problem with a Ford and had to sue them and dealer in small claims court. When I showed Ford lawyer all my notes, they paid up without having to go to court. Also, do not assume that dealer will keep records. With the Ford thing, I was getting repairs without documentation. I believe dealer knew that if he had to disclose his records it would not look favorable to him. Frank

Reply to
Frank

It's very easy. Don't even need to lift vehicle. Reach up under left side of front bumper, remove the screws. Drain plug & filter very accessible. See scoobymods.com for info.

Reply to
mred

Done is done. No sense worrying. Next time read the owners manual when you buy a car. Did you know you're not supposed to drive with your arm out the window either? Check the owners' manual, it's in there ... if the side air bags go off, they will tear your arm out clean out of your shoulder! Argh! And by the way, get more exercise and watch your weight. Or don't you value your body enough to worry about it?

My point is we all fail to follow good advice all the time, and usually nothing untoward happens. so stop fretting. But get more exercise anyway.

Reply to
P T