2006 Forester - X or XS

Looking at a Forester in canada, trying to decide between the X & XS. I don't care about most of the options in the XS (heated seats, cargo covers, etc), but the 2 things I wonder about are the limited slip differential and the improved braking (some elctronic transfer plus 4 wheel discs) which are both upgraded in the XS. Any opinions on whether its worth shelling out an extra $3K for these. My dealer also has loads of the X w/ stick right now so he's likely to want to move one...

Reply to
billthomson

I'm in Cnada and bought the XS (2004). The main reasons were the Limited Slip Diff, the rear discs and the toneau cover/mud tray/bumper cover combo. The other advantages were the 6 stack CD and automated AC (not so much an advantage). I also liked the alloy wheels. Is it vworth an extra three grand...probably not but I wentv for it anyway. If you can get a good deal on the X, I am sure it will be all you need it to be.

Reply to
Grolch

I read over the Subaru Canada website as they dropped the XS in the US for

2006. To me the added features were worth it. I like the heated seats, the heated wipers, and the alloy wheels in addition to the EBD (electronic brake force distribution) and LSD (limited slip differential). I wanted four wheel disk brakes. I really did not need the power seat. Also you get leather wrapped steering wheel, handbrake, and shift lever. Crossbars on the roof rack, turn signals under the mirrors, cargo tray, cargo cover, illuminated ignition key ring.

The other difference I wish my 2005 XS had was the color or colour matched mirrors and door handles that come on the 2006 XS in Canada.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

brembo front kit for impreza is on sale on tirerack.com for under $2300. That should fit forester too and should work unlike the electronic garbage used to mask the brake deficiencies. Dunno if you'd need bigger wheels though due to larger rotors. Maybe not.

Reply to
Body Roll

I'll say that depends on how long you are going to keep the car. If you just use it for less than 4 years, keep the $3k yourself. Otherwise, the limited differential, 4 wheel disc brake, heated wiper is worth the extra. Not to mention the 4 alloy wheel worth $1000 already. Heated wiper is a good thing during snow storm. Quite a few people like the design. All contribute to safety which is basically what you are looking for I guess. Or else get a CR-V or Rav4 instead of Subaru (True AWD). Put it this way, it worths every penny if it ever saves your life once. But remember to replace all the tires when you got your Forester.

Reply to
WNG

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Thanks for the opinions everyone. Likely keeping the car for 10 yrs or so (trading in a 94 4runner), thinking more seriously about the XS now. It does have a lot of silly add ons that I don't care about, but I think its worth shelling out the extra $$$ for the safety features. Would love to find a review that actually compares the performance difference between the open & limited slip diff & the 2 braking systems, failing that I guess I'll assumed Subaru knows what they're doing with the design....

Reply to
billthomson

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Oh. Do me a favor. Ask the sales guy if the 06 Forester still have problem with the automatic climate control as everyone experiences in the group. Drive me crazy with mine.

Reply to
WNG