2008 Coolant conditioner

Is the coolant conditioner treatment going to be recommended (required?) on 2008 models with the 2.5L engine?

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

YES

Reply to
Bob H

Too bad! I was pondering a new Impreza purchase. I don't want a Civic, Mazda, Corolla, and the like.

What does one do? Wait for the Subaru diesel? Get a Mitsu? They don't even sell the Ralliart stronger engine version yet. The 2.0L is supposedly weak.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

Talking Mitsu Lancer here, of course.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

You have it on good authority that this is true?? Like FHI or Subaru of America ??

Reply to
Bugalugs

additionally, do you KNOW those other vehicles do not have a conditioner? And what if the diesel gets the conditioner?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

What is the point of asking such a ridiculous question? Are you' some kind of logical idiot?

Sure there is a chance the Subaru diesel might get the conditioner but then I wouldn't want that engine, either.

This whole conditioner issue in my opinion is nothing less than a sign of incompenent engineering. Most likely the block has some hot spots that lead to weakening gaskets. I am theorizing here, as Subaru seems to hush-up the heat related (?) true nature of the problem. They seem to desperately try find a fix in the form of a super strong gasket material that could bear the heat-pressure without disintegrating.

There are probably additional ways to ameliorate the head gasket problem besides the coolant conditioner treatment such as:

- trying to keep the engine oil SUPER cool by installing a big oil-cooler, or extra large capacity oil pan- like racers do

- putting water-wetter into coolant to try aid cooling,

- using more slippery synthetic engine oils- also helps keep engine temps down.

But why go through all of this?

Why not simply buy a car that has an engine designed to handle the heat and pressure withou help of all sorts of band-aids?

I have a 2000 Impreza with the 2.2L engine and am very happy with it, but I need a second car. The 2.5 L engine (the need for the conditioner being for me a barometer of the quality of engineering) is just unacceptable to me, too much risk, as I like to keep my cars for much longer than

100k.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

But you still haven't answered the question. On what authority do you say that 2008 models require this conditioner.???

Reply to
Bugalugs

according to cars101.com - the coolant additive was only part of a recall up to 2002. And it is only effective for external leaks.

*****2/6/04 1999-02 Phase2 2.5L engines, Legacy, Outback, Forester possible external coolant leak at the cylinder head gaskets Certain 1999 through 2002 2.5L equipped vehicles may experience an external coolant leak at the head gaskets. As a precautionary measure, SOA is adding a special conditioner to the engine cooling system. This conditioner prevents leaks from occurring and corrects existing leaks. Only early Phase II 2.5 liter engines are affected. Phase I 2.5 liter engines (some 1999 model year and prior years) are not affected. Countermeasures applied to the manufacturing process for those 2002 and later VINS not affected by this campaign have eliminated the need for this campaign to be performed on those vehicles. In the future, it will be necessary to add Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner to the SUBARU vehicle cooling system whenever the engine coolant is replaced. If the vehicle owner has this repair performed promptly, Subaru will extend warranty coverage on cylinder head gasket external coolant leaks to a period of 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Warranty coverage begins on the date the vehicle was delivered to the first retail purchaser or on the date the vehicle was first placed in demo or rental service. The owner must have Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner added to the vehicle at any subsequent cooling system services at the interval specified in the Warranty and Maintenance Booklet under the heading ?Schedule of Inspection and Maintenance Services?. Resulting damage caused by a lack of maintenance or low coolant level will not be covered.******

Carl

*****
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I am the original poster (OP) asking the question (whether conditioner is required).

It seems not to be (see Carls post), but questions linger in my mind as to the permanency of the fix. If I decide to buy a car with the

2.5l engine I am very hesitant, I will definitely install an additional engine oil cooler, or an extra capacity oil pan, just to be on the safe side, if there is one.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

If its mentioned or 'required' anymore, likely it's considered an inexpensive 'safety net' by Subaru. They either don't realize anyone is rejecting their vehicles from consideration for purchase because of it's use or don't care. To me, its no more concern than a vehicle coming from the factory with synthetic oil in it like some (European and Corvettes?) do.

After I posted, I looked through my manual (for the WRX - haven't checked the Outback's manual yet)and I found where it says to use the conditioner.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Maybe, maybe not, we just don't know.

There is a third possibility, they may realize, may care, but it is just cheaper to deal with the problem this way. Many car manufacturers have in the past built solid reputations and then rode these for years, sometimes nearly into oblivion.

Well, I guess you don't call yourself Lucky for nothing. That Texas oil well of yours, or lottery winning, or whatever it was that made you lucky must have altered your outlook, or made ordinary worries become trivialities for you :)))))))

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

Fairy nuf

But the point I was making was that the OP asked about 2008 models. The first reply claimed that use of the conditioner WAS a requirement.

However the above reply states

"Countermeasures applied to the manufacturing process for those 2002 and later VINS not affected by this campaign have eliminated the need for this campaign to be performed on those vehicles."

While that extract is not structured very clearly it would appear that the "Conditioner" is not a requirement in the 2008 2.5L models

Reply to
Bugalugs

The fix must be added at every coolant change. It will enough to get you through the warranty period.

The accumulation cannot possibly be good for coolant flow. It may in fact contribute to cylinder head overheating and cloggin of passages.

Try a better design.

Reply to
Bob H

The WRX has a 2.0l engine and as far as I know doesn't have a head gasket problem, and doesn't need cooling system conditioner.

Reply to
Mk IV

That's what I wanted to believe - but I think it should be interpreted that a RECALL campaign is not required on newer vehicles. As to the issue about '08s recieving the conditioner, I agree its doubtful anyone knows for certain yet (outside of Subaru engineers) but, seeing it in my '06 manual makes me feel it likely will be included. I went to the my subaru website, dowloaded the pdf file (cause I was too lazy to dig the manual outta my car) and searched on condioner. Then i scrolled through the results looking for the term not in association with 'air' (as in air conditioning).

meh

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

My '06 is a 2.5l, the manual says the conditioner must be used. I doubt it 'needs' it in the sense an '01 does. Just that Subaru may have decided to continue using the conditioner. Again, does a new Corvette 'need' synthetic oil?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The right question would be: does a new Corvette 'need' synthetic oil to prevent oil pan gasket leakage? The answer is no, it doesn't.

The need for cooling system conditioner in the Subaru 2.5l engine is to prevent/correct premature head gasket failure. This engine has had this head gasket problem since 1999, you'd think they'd have it figured out by now. This being said, head gasket problems seem to be a common trait with high performance boxer engines, ask any Porsche owner...

Reply to
Mk IV

what will the oil cooler and bigger pan do to prevent a head gasket failure ?

VF

Reply to
houndman

Does a Corvette require synthetic oil because use of non-syntetic oil will lead to wear induced failure? What are they trying to cover up? Will your warranty be voided if you don't use synth-oil in your Vette?

You seem pretty confident Subaru has not addressed the problem.

You seem to want to believe the worst. Fine, no one can reason you out of some concept you didn't come to believe through reason.

you can have the last word - I'm through

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan