2009 Forester reverse

Hi all. We traded our 2001 for a 2009 Forester, got the 5 speed man. Having trouble getting it into reverse at times. Do a little double clutch ing and it goes, but thats a pain. Our 2001 was an auto so I have nothing to compair it to. Cant see there being any adjustment but I though I'd ask before I go through all the hassle of going to the dealer. Is this normal? Thanks ...Rob

Reply to
Rob

None of the several manual tranny cars I've owned would reliably go into reverse smoothly. Some were better than others. I'd say my 06 WRX wagon is about in the middle as for revrsing 'ease'.

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Try rolling the car forward a bit and then trying to put it in reverse when it does that.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote in news:8R5Nl.18796$8 snipped-for-privacy@flpi147.ffdc.sbc.com:

Ya, thanks. With luck it'll ease up a bit as it ages. Still a nice ride. thanks again. Rob

Reply to
Rob

I find it helpful to slip the shifter into another gear before selecting reverse. On this car, it 'seems' sliding into second before using reverse helps a little.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I have a 2009 Forester and a 2000 Legacy Wagon, both with 5 speed. Both cars exhibit the behavior you describe, the Legacy always has.

Reply to
OptoOne

My 05 Impreza is the same. Its a bit notchy. Doesn't bother me.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Thanks all. Every maker has its quirks. It sounds like mine is normal, thanks again

........Rob

Reply to
Rob

Just curious, but why would anybody get a stick shift now that automatics get better gas mileage. Not to mention the ease of driving. Plus a much better resale value. Does stick have an advantage I don't know about? I have a '00 Forester with auto tranny and just love it. Matter of fact, I haven't driven a stick since 1956. Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

Everyone will have a personal preference for one transmission over another. Here are some of the reasons why I prefer the manual...

1) $1000 cheaper if you're buying a new Subaru 2) Manual center differential instead of a hydraulic one (true 50-50 front/rear power split instead of the typical Subaru 90/10 front/rear automatic split) 3) Better gas mileage. I get a consistent 28mpg in a '98 outback with a manual. When borrowing my ex's '03 outback with auto, I was lucky to get 24mpg on the same commute route. 4) Less expensive repair work. There are rumors of Subaru automatic transmissions crapping out at just over 100K. 5) More control in bad weather. I can downshift and use engine braking on a snowy day here in the Rocky Mountains and avoid Subaru's inadequate ABS system.

I agree that automatic transmissions have come a long way in the past

30 years in terms of efficiency and convenience, but for me the benefits of a manual transmission still outweigh the disadvantages (like constant clutch pedal time in stop-and-go traffic). My situation is such that I don't have much stop-and-go commute so it's less of a concern for me and I pick the car that works best for my needs.

Steve.

Reply to
scarano1

I agree with all of the reasons that Steve stated for prefering to own a manual. However, I live in rural NH where there are no traffic lights. If I lived in the suburbs or city I would own an automatic.

Reply to
OptoOne

Yeah. I live in 'rural' Western Mass, but have to go to Hartford about once a month. Around home, southern NH and VT the 5-speed is OK. If I have to go through downtown Hartford ~5PM...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Its the wife's buggy. I loved our 01 auto, but she had her heart set on a stick, and we did save $1K. It do remind me of driving a 15 speed trans (shift at low rpm's).

My youngest and I did get lost ;) a few weeks ago and ended up at the sand pitts with the dirt bike\atv crowd. I was impressed at how it got around out there. Lots of waves and smiles as we passed by a 2 x 4 jeep on a hill. ...Rob

Reply to
Rob