2011 Outback Transmission Failed

Our 2011 CVT failed with only 46,000 miles and one day over the 5-year warranty period. Five warning lights illuminated including the check engine, the AT Oil Temp, the the Cruise, the skid control, and the Brake light.

We took it to our local dealer and were told that two solenoids were sticking and that they were not sold separately, so we needed an entire new valve body(?) at a cost of $1200! I mentioned this failure occurred EXACTLY one day after the five-year warranty. The service manager said he will cover the repair as a goodwill gesture, but I am concerned about the long-term reliability of continuously variable transmissions after this failure.

Has anyone else had a failure of their CVT? I am most interested in failures occurring at about 50,000 miles.

Thanks,

- Russ in Santa Barbara

Reply to
rll_sb

rll_sb:

Seems a bit of a stretch having a general concern about CVT's after seeing one failure. The one in my '06 Prius is fine after nine years and 55k miles. My '14 Forester doesn't have many miles on it. CVT is fine.

Reply to
Davoud

All well and good but manual transmissions are offered in fewer and fewer cars these days. We've got no choice if we want a Premium or Limited model. Even exotic cars are foregoing manuals and only offering automatics.

Reply to
PAS

Your Name:

Prius and Forester CVT's. No problems over a combined 11 years.

Having a spouse who does not know how to use a manual gearbox overrides ALL of your many, many, many reasons.

Having to drive in stop-and-go traffic also overrides ALL of your many, many, many reasons.

Having a predilection for comfort and ease also overrides ALL of your many, many, many reasons.

Reply to
Davoud

My Subaru recommended changing the timing belts at 60K miles. It busted one of the belts at 61K miles. If that isn't precision engineering, I don't know what is. ;)

Reply to
dsi1