2012 OBS questions

My 2007 Outback Sport SE is on its last legs, after being hit on almost every vertical surface since it was 6 months old, plus little things just not working any more.

Due to a land sale, I'm going to have about $20,000 to spend on a car. I really like the OBS, which Subaru stopped making in 2012. I test drove a Crosstrek and it seemed like a larger vehicle, much like a Forester, and I didn't like it. The OBS feels like a smaller car.

I've been looking at the 2012 OBS with CVT and they seem to be within my budget. I'm planning on buying from a dealer and negotiating for as much warranty as I can get, maybe 3 years.

Is there anything specific I should be looking at on an OBS with about

50K miles?

Are there any issues with that model year?

Anything I need to have the dealer check before I put down my money?

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Wasn't the OBS a boxed-out Impreza? If so then the Crosstrek may actually be smaller i.e. a little shorter (about 5 inches) and just a hair wider (1.5 inches). The real difference, if it matters, is that it is taller at

64 vs. 57 inches.

I think that I would lean more toward the new vehicle unless the old one is being offered at a giveaway price and is in perfect condition but that is just me -- I shy away from used vehicles since I tend to keep any I buy for at least ten years so that the depreciation means little at that point.

Oh, and I've heard things about the early Subaru CVTs being a noisy PITA but I can't nail anything down definitely but you might want to research them a bit.

Reply to
John McGaw