22 mpg on '97 Outback I just got. Sound right?

I finally did a mileage check on my new/used Outback. I got around 22 mpg with an automatic tranny and mixed city and highway driving. Does this sound about right?

tia

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon

Edward Hayes

Compared to my 98, that's on the low side of the normal range, mot bad. Are you keeping the tires full?

Reply to
BobN

My mechanic says I should get around 25 on the highway. I think I'm carrying a bit more weight than you, not only as a car, but all my work stuff is in the back, too.

Thanks for the response.

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon

That's about right. I get about 20 city, 28/29 hwy on my 99 OBW. FYI, I just bought the new Consumer Reports magazine on SUVs. It has real life fuel economy averages and the new OBW gets 21 or 22 mpg average, if memory serves. The EPA fuel economy estimates are generous compared to actual.

Reply to
lkreh
22-23 is normal in city driving. Expect 27-29 on highway. Use synthetic oil and keep tires inflated
Reply to
bigjim

My 97 Legacy Outback Wagon gets about 17 mpg over 2 week periods when I'm driving the three miles to work, the YMCA, and back. When I drive to and from school, a 2 hour drive, I get about 25 mpg.

If I recally correctly the manual says 32 psi for the front tires and

35 psi for the back. How often should I fill my tires? Should I only fill them to these specs?

Thanks, Thomas

Reply to
thomashanno

That I know. I think the figures come from the manufacturers, not from the EPA -- probably off a dyno

Reply to
Sheldon

I'd expect those numbers, BUT the higher pressure would be in the front. (though equal all around might be good if you were heavily loaded with cargo)

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Well mine with the 2.2l engine is closer to 20 in the winter, 22 in the summer. 27-30 on straight highway drivingh around 70 mph.

Reply to
Jim

Hi,

There are LOTS of ideas on tire pressures...

Personally, I start with the book pressures as the minimum, then add a pound or two until I find the point where the car "feels" best. Most of my cars do well at 2-3 psi over the sticker figure. As previously posted, you're very likely going to be happier with more air in the fronts (unless heavily loaded.) Just don't exceed the "cold" pressure listed on the sidewall.

Most printed recommendations I've seen suggest checking the pressure weekly (though in reality I've read most people don't check more than about once a month--not often enough, IME.)

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Reply to