225 to 235 .... Another "Tire size on a Soobie" question. (if there hasn't been enough already)

I recently replaced all 4 tires on my '00 Outback Limited. The original Potenzas were toast; but 94K wasn't a bad run for those as OEM!

The OEM size by the manual is 225/60R-16 , as were the Potenzas. I upped that to 235/60's, Falken ZE512's.

I had the chance to measure mounted OD on the 225 and 235 versions of this as well as the (worn) Potenzas.

28.8" on the Potenzas (remember, they are down to "Lincoln's head" on tread wear)

29.1" on a 225/60R-16 ZE512

29.4" on the (now installed) 235/60R-16 ZE512

The main reason for the larger size was gaining a little tire overlap (rim size being slightly smaller than tread width) for a softer ride.

I felt it was a reasonable choice; as did the tire dealer. A few days later I went to the local Soobie dealer to pick up some new floormats and got my butt reamed by a mechanic for the tire upsize. He did say that was standard procedure (as far as he knew) to always disuade even minor size changes.

He did like the tires tho ;}

I could understand problems with major changes, but .3" ???

I've been upsizing tire size on vehicles since 1966, I know the pitfalls and all of the usual fixes like new differentials if you go too far. I realize the AWD system does put more into the "issues" but IIRC the actual size of these 235 Falkens is in the range of 225's from other manufacturers.

Did I screw up??

Reply to
nobody

I don't think so. I think the mechanic is full of shit. As long as all

4 tires are of the same model/size you should be fine, The possible problem is the clearance for the chains and an possible issue with the wider tire not clearing the wheel well liners at the extreme positions of the steering wheel.

I think the mechanic's gf/wife refused to put out that morning and that he took it out on you.

Reply to
Body Roll

When you change the tire size it effectively alters the gearing, and also changes the speed sensor readings to the ECU and ABS controller. Your speedometer will not be as accurate, ABS operation may be effected, and the ECU will get inaccurate speed info. That .3" difference in diameter translates to about a 1" difference in rolling circumference which could be significant. It is best when changing tire sizes to use a proper "plus" size that will keep the same diameter and rolling circumference to within a very small tolerance, usually 1% or less. There are tire size calculators available online that can assist with this. Tire Rack has one on their site. You can do a "plus zero" using the same wheel size, but you can't arbitrarily go up to the next wider size tire.

Reply to
mulder

BUT, even tires with the same nominal dimension are different diameters between brands and models so rhetoric that this .3" difference is a problem is pure bullshit. I got rid of the OEM Geolandars on my Forester and replaced them with the same nominal size Goodyear Tripletreads and found my speedometer was out by over 8%, I went back to Fountain Tire and they installed the next size up to most closely match the original tires diameter.

Reply to
Grolch

Good point, as I am considering going up in size to correct my speedometer error. Tirerack shows the Forester stock Geolandar's tires as having a diameter of 26.2". When I read 70 mph I am really going 67 mph. So if my math is correct, I would need a tire of 27.4" for the correct reading.

I am also considering the Goodyear Tripletred. It shows 26.1" vs. 26.2" for the Geolandar in the stock 215/60 HR16 size.

Which size did you put on the Forester?

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

215 60R16
Reply to
Grolch

That is the only size I see used for the 16" wheel on the Forester from the start. I see for 2006 in Japan most Foresters come with 17" 215/55 R17 which still has the similar diameter of 26.3"

Reply to
Blair Baucom

BTW, you'll love the TripleTreads

Reply to
Grolch

In this case, I *did* do my research. Putting on a researched/measured tire that just happens to be a 235 instead of a 225 turned out to be better than putting on a 225 from a manufacturer that makes 'um bigger.

FWIW: I hit a 10 mile 'Speedometer Test Area' today where it was reasonable to slow down to an indicated 60 mph on cruise control and fairly tight stopwatch action. Speedometer was 59.5 mph; odometer was 9.94 miles. I'd say that was a pretty damned good match. It's possible the Soobie's speedo was off before, but I haven't owned it long enough to tell about the old tires.

Post FWIW: Speedometer error is more common than most people think. I never understood why my father never got a speeding ticket with his '83 Ford Rander pckup. My brother later found out when we pulled off the stock

185/75-14's and put on 215/70-15's (about 1.7 " larger) and got almost a perfect 60mph over 10 miles after the swap. Doing the math said he was doing about 54 mph with an indicated 60. Now we know why.....
Reply to
nobody

Take a look at the Miata Tire Size Calculator (

) This will calculate the difference for you.

Reply to
GreenieLeBrun

The issue is not so much the radius of the tire as the cross section. If you put a tire on a rim that's too narrow for it you'll distort the case of the tire. This effects the handling of the vehicle and in extreme cases the sidewalls move so much it feels like flat tires.

Reply to
John Murfet

What would happen if you stick to the proper width but go down 1 size in the aspect ratio, say 195 50 15 instead of 195 55 15 ?

Reply to
Body Roll