4 or 6 Cylinder Outback?

A 6-cylinder obviously has more power (and eats more gas!), but what is the overall driving experience (and likely reliability) as compared to an equivalently configured 4-cylinder?

Specifically 2004-2006 models...

Reply to
Donkey Agony

Get the 4. The difference is hardly noticable but the mpg is less with the 6. Initial cost is cheaper as well.

Reply to
bigjim

Which version? The turbo 4s put out as much peak power and more torque means more overall power throughout the rev range.

Reply to
y_p_w

In the hills of Connecticut on route 84 on the way to Hartford from the Mass Pike, our 4 cyl '96 Outback downshifted a gear going up most of the hills and dropped in speed. Our '03 6 cyl. Outback never downshifts and maintains speed well. This is all while on cruise control.

When the downlshift occured in the 4 cyl., the engine would buzz due to the high rpm. My wife was always concerned that something was breaking. Also this would often happen while a car was next to us; made them think we were racing. Dumb, but true.

Al

Reply to
Al

4cyl '97 OBW with AT, with 2 people + camping gear, A/C on, has no trouble maintaining 70mph on I-5 climbing out of Los Angeles to the Tejon pass (though it does downshift).

In fact, I usually pass all the big SUVs which passed me at 85mph before the climb began :)

Also note, that 6cyl not only eats more gas, but also needs premium fuel (AFAICT).

Cheers,

Reply to
Paul Pluzhnikov

It sound like your were driving too fast uphill for the power of your car. Where I live, in S. Calif the hills are not that steep and my 4 cyl is adequate, unless one is a very aggressive driver.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Helberg

It's my understanding that using regular gas is fine, but the 6-cyl models meet their published specs only with premium.

Reply to
John Rethorst

AfaIk, the Turbo version engine required premium, otherwise, your engine will knock like xxxx, due to the high pressure built by turbo.

does the H-6 builds much more higher pressure in the cylinder? if so, I guess premium is *required*.

Reply to
grape

My 4cyl manual tranny OBW zipped right along the Mass Pike in cruise control.

It had a whole different feel that the 4 cyl automatics I test drove. A night and day difference.

Reply to
Bonehenge

Just keeping up with traffic. If you go the legal limit, you get hit from behind.

Al

Reply to
Al

What he said.

The 4 is more than enough with a manual transmission and is a blast to drive. I can't speak for the auto.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Reply to
grape

The 05-06 4 cylinder is peppier than previous versions, does not downshift as often and is quieter. The 04 and previous years feel much slower. I have had a 2000 OBW and currently own an 05.

Ron

Reply to
Freedom55

I agree.

When I bought my 05OB 2.5i it was the first automatic I have owned and my main worry was that it might not have enough power.

Turns out the auto has plenty of power for highway driving AND good fuel economy. Now after 20,000 km I still love it - the perfect touring car :-)

Reply to
teekaynospam

I am told, by our sales trainer for Subaru of New England, that the turbo does REQUIRE premium, while, for the 6-cylinder, it is merely RECOMMENDED.

Marc Sindell Twin City Subaru Sales Montpelier, Vermont

Reply to
marcus153

We live in Colorado and our big concern was the performance of the 2.5i

4-cyl on the mountain roads and with the thinner air. We bought an '05 2.5i after test driving it overnight and we're very pleased with its performance. It goes up I-70 and though the Eisenhower tunnel just fine. We have to downshift to 4th (manual tranny) but I expected that. It usually has adequate of passing power. Very happy with the gas mileage too. We didn't get the turbo since it requires premium and gets lower mileage, hoping we made the right decision, and we don't regret it. The turbo or 6 is a lot more sporty though if you have the extra bucks to spend.
Reply to
Dino

What have you measured the fuel economy to be?

I've been recording every fuel purchase since I got my 2000 Legacy L (not Outback) wagon in March. I'm getting 23.6 miles per gallon (US) overall.

I can convert liters per 100 km into miles per gallon, if needed.

Reply to
Tom Reingold

On long journeys which include travel at holiday destinations, going over mountain passes, long stretches of 75mph freeway driving etc., I average 8.0 litres/100km. This is an exact figure averaged over several major trips.

On regular highway and freeway driving - trips of 700 to 1500 km, no cities but over mountain passes - I sometimes only use 7.4 to 7.8 litres/100km.

In my home town it's much worse since it's all up or down steep hils on short trips and rarely in high gear or with a warmed up engine, and I average 14.0 - 15.2 for each tank.

Reply to
eachcornerpulling

We have the 4 cyl., which takes regular gas and gets about 28mpg highway fully loaded with gear/luggage. The 6 cyl. takes premium gas. That fact alone would prevent me from buying the 6 cyl. We also take a lot of roadtrips and have found the 4 cyl to have enough power. We don't tow a trailer, but I question anyone who would with a Subaru.

Reply to
lkreh

The conversion factor from your units to US units (not imperial) is 235. So when you use 8 liters per 100 km, that's getting over 29 miles per US gallon. Wow, that's high. And when you use 15 liters, that's less than

16 mpg. Wow, that's low. That's wide variation! My fillups never yield me more than 25 mpg or less than 22. I guess I drive consistently between fillups.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold