5 mph rear bumper test

Well without prior knowledge a kind stranger elected me to participate in a 5mph rear bumper collision test. I was stopped for a good 10-12 seconds when the 'test' happened. The test vehicles were a 97 Pontiac Grand Prix and 2002 Subaru Outback Sedan. Both vehicles passed without any damage. There wasn't even a scratch on my bumper. I pulled the bumper cover off today (60 min job) and examined the underlying real bumper and there was no damage. So it works.

Reply to
null

I don't care if the bumper cover protects the bumper or if the bumper protects the car...I have insurance. What I do care about is how the vehicle protects me, how did it FEEL? TG

Reply to
TG

It was a true WTF moment. I was stopped for 'awhile' then all of sudden wham. It was enough force to activate the seatbelt lock but not hard enough to hurt.

Reply to
null

In March, 2003, my '03 OBW was hit from behind while stopping. No other damage other than two license plate screw marks on rear bumper cover resulted from force.

The damage was estimated for $800 (cost of replac>

Reply to
Leon Li

While on this topic, last summer I was hit from behind on a red light by an old lady who appearntly misjudged her stopping distance, therefore I can say that she must have been around the '5mph' speed.

Now my car is a 1990 Legacy and the only damage to the bumper was that the paint started to peel of the bumper, and a very minor imprint of her license plate screw.

But I do agree, even being hit at such a low speed does cause quite a shock to the body...

just my input.

Emad

Reply to
Emad Yousuf