86 GL brakes spongy

Haven't been here for a good long while.

The old girl is getting real tired, but refuses to quit.

Below zero weather was making pedal spongy. Lots of air in left rear line. Bled all lines. Happened again, so replaced both rear wheel cylinders.

Is better, but pedal still travels farther than it does when warm. No leaks to be found anywhere, hill holder is fine. Before I go getting mad and putting in a new master cylinder, am I missing something?

Haven't worked much on cars since college days (30 years ago) so am definitely out of practice and rusty. Plus the joints don't work as well anymore, so may farm this one out, but looking to see if I missed something simple first.

Thanks Mark

Reply to
pheasant

Hi,

Out of curiosity, did you bleed the lines alone, w/ a vacuum pump or one of the "one man bleeders", or w/ two people? I've always found I get better results when a real person is pushing on the pedal...

Also, I assume you kept an eye on the m/c reservoir so it didn't get too low and suck "new" air into the system?

Rick C

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Hi,

Add a thought: "old" brake hoses can give a softer feel than fresh ones, too. I'd consider 10 yrs or so as a good service life--some say less.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

2 people, me on the ground (of course)

Tried to overfill, the remove to max line after done. Suppose some could have snuck in between sides.

The thing I don't get is, when I lightly "double pump" I have firm pedal feel, no spongy feel at all. I do this out of habit, but when I get in a different vehicle, find myself overcompensating and braking harder than I should.

My knees are screaming at me for last week, so am gonna throw my "major repair" guy a bone and let him figure it out.

Merry Christmas!!

Reply to
pheasant

Thanks Rick

Am gonna take it to my "big job" guy, tell him spongy brakes, tell him what was done and let him figure it out.

Getting too old to lie on the ground when the weather is single digits anymore.

Reply to
pheasant