87 GL 4dr 2WD - y-pipe needed

I just bought an '87 Subaru GL 4-dr, 2WD with 26K original miles (owner was elderly lady who hasn't been able to drive it in several years). It wasn't garaged and has some body rust but after an oil change, radiator flush/refill and some new tires, it's a cream puff that I couldn't pass up for the price (cheap). I don't pretend to be very knowledgeable about auto mechanics but I just got it registered and was driving it to the inspection station when it started sounding like a chopped up Harley Davidson (loud). The mechanic found the y-pipe had cracked on the right side where it connects to the manifold. I haven't had much luck finding a replacement and when Subaru told me they could get it for $325, I figured it was time to post a query to this group.

Anyone have any ideas about the best place to find a good replacement y-pipe? Also, I'd like to hear any kudos or knocks from from other 87 GL owners. Reply to this group or email me directly ( snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net).

Thanks in advance.

Doc

Reply to
RICH HOLODAK

( snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net).

My '87 was a great little car, emphasis on little. The only reasons I got rid of it were that it was too small, and it had bad rust. When my sister had to replace the y-pipe on her '87 GL wagon, the dealer quoted her $1200 for it. I believe she ended up getting it at a junk yard for around $300, so $325 doesn't sound all that bad to me. Tonyrama '95 Outback

Reply to
tonyrama

Ya can't patch it?? Muffler mender, or find someone with a welder?

jw milwaukee

Reply to
J999w

Reply to
RICH HOLODAK

JC Whitney actually had these at a good price for older Subs. TG

Reply to
TG

That was probably a good decision. However, eventually it will get so cancerous that welding will not hold for very long. When you weld it and it breaks again in about 6 months, then you will know it's time to replace the pipe.

Bill Putney