87 Subaru GL: Hazards (only) won't STAY on

I have a weird one. I just swapped the top instrument panel on my 87 Subaru GL, because the rightmost set of heater control buttons were broken away from the actual control box behind it. I swapped all of the actual buttons and light panels and such so the only actual *new* piece is the big plastic panel with the embedded buttons.

After this mini-surgery, the hazard lights won't stay on. When the button is pressed in, the hazards come on and click-click-click but as soon as I release the button, they stop. This used to work (like, last night) so there must be a connection missing or something?

I checked all the fuses; they're fine. All the other things -- horn, lights, etc etc -- work great. And the heater buttons work again :)

So, once again, I'm turning to the vast wisdom of the internet. Any ideas, folks?

thanks in advance!

elijah

Reply to
elijahs

The hazards staying on when you release the button is a mechanical function within the button itself. It's "press-on/press-off". Something must have happened inside the switch, it may just have been its time to fail.

Reply to
mulder

I would have a look to see if there is something impinging on the switch. I'm thinking something is off by a millimeter, just enough to keep the switch from engaging fully.

I know this is prbably going to be a PITA, but at least loosen the new panel enough to pull it back about a half inch, and try again. If this fails, remove the switch from the panel and try it without being seated n the panel. It's probably just some kind of obstruction keepein the switch from fully depressing.

Good luck. BTW, if you have the other switch from the "new" panel (if there was a switch) keep it handy. Or yank one out of an old computer... :)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I agree, you COULD try a short squirt of silicone lube in/arouns the switch. Otherwise, replace it.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Thanks folks. the first thing I did, actually, was take the panel off and pop out the switch again, and test it just sitting midair. since that didn't work, I assumed that there must be some sorta stay-on relay that had failed.

Obviously not. I'll track down a replacement switch and pop that in.

thanks again!

elijah

Reply to
elijahs