'89 Mazda 626 hesitation resolved...for now...

While trying to run down parts, I stopped at a Mazda dealer to see what he could offer for plug wires (uh, $79?!?!?!). He suggested I check the air tube for cracks.

Today being a most excellent day (except for a nagging headache) I decided to pull the tube and have a look. Looked OK to me, but was coated with oil! There was also a box attached to it, probably for resonance, and when I set the thing on the ground about 1/4 cup oil came oozing out of it (Now I know where my oil is going...). I opened up the throttle, and the insides of the venturi (there are two, one that opens immediately and one that opens at a wider throttle opening) were crusted with carbon! I checked the PCV, and it appears to be operational. Off to AutoZone, where I was going to pick up some "Carb cleaner". All the cans said "DO NOT use on cars equipped with fuel injection", so I got some MAF cleaner. I sprayed the MAF and the housing good, the inside of the tube and then the intake plenum and the venturi. Black gook came rushing out, so I emptied both cans into it, until both venturi were nice and clean. I held the throttle open for a few mintues and then started the car. It idled roughly and died when I pressed the pedal! Um, guess I should have reconnected the MAF, eh?

I let it idle to burn off the remaining MAF cleaner and took it out for a ride. It's almost like driving a new car. Throttle response is amazing, and the hesitation is gone.

This is basically a good car, but I paid $150 for it, I just turned

192,000 on the test cruise, and the suspension is in rough shape. Perhaps if I could find a really good engine for cheap I would throw the $750 into the suspension, but...
Reply to
Hachiroku