90-91 used legacy buying advice

I am thinking about buying a used 90-91 legacy wagon. It looks like at my price range(~$2500) I can afford one with around 100,000 - 160,000 miles on it.

Any advice to buying a high mileage legacy? Manual vs Auto, etc??

Thanks!!

Reply to
dulli

I had a 91 w/manual (FWD), then a 92 w/auto (also FWD). Now I have a 95 (auto, FWD) and my impression is that the 1st gen Legacies (pre-95) were more solid cars.

I never had transmission issues with either the 91 or 92. The 91 had a peculiar habit of locking the doors as you opened the driver door from the inside (this was documented, I believe)--so you have to stay on your toes to avoid locking yourself out of the car!

Other than that I had no complaints about my two 1st-gen Legacies. Unfortunately it was accidents that cut their lifespan short--the 91 at about 175K and the 92 at 137K. I got my 95 this past December, with only 64K miles, for $3200; If it proves as reliable as ny other Legacies then I'll have gotten a great bargain.

With pr> I am thinking about buying a used 90-91 legacy wagon. It looks like at my

Reply to
Rob Aries

Make sure to check if the timing belts have been done and early legacies have rear (disc) brake problems. My 90 5spd wgn also feels more solid to me than my 04 Forester 2.5XS, though I wouldn't go back (My wife drives the 90 now).