'90 Legacy muffler - single/dual tipped?

I recently needed a new muffler on my '90 Legacy wagon, and took the car to a Meineke dealer to get a replacement. After I getting the car back, I noticed that the new muffler had only a single pipe exiting from it, while the original Legacy muffler (and all subsequent replacements) was dual tipped.

The Meineke guy apologized, said that he hadn't realized the original was dual tipped (the back of my muffler was badly rusted out), claimed that single or dual tip should make no practical difference, but offered to install a dual tip muffler at no charge if I wanted him to. The only problem was that it was the end of the day, the shop was closing, and I would have to bring the car back at some other time to have the work done.

Here's my question: should it make any practical difference whether the muffler is single or dual tipped? I'd prefer not to waste half a day getting the muffler replaced if there's no practical reason to do so. On the other hand, it makes sense to me that a dual tip muffler might offer less back-resistance than a single-tip, and thereby effect the car's performance. And it may be my imagination, but the car does seem a bit more sluggish and a bit more prone to a slight back-firing on deacceleration.

Zack '90 Legacy wagon auto 155,000 miles

Reply to
Zack

The answer to that would be definitively, "maybe, it might, for sure!", based on info provided...

Are the single and dual tip mufflers identical, aside from the tips? Bosal, for one, makes mufflers for the WRX in both flavors, and there's a LARGE difference in noise output between the tip styles; not *due* to the tips, but to fundamental differences in the construction of mufflers themselves (straight-thru vs. baffled).

If they are the same, which style do *you* like better, on your wheels? Not a big deal for some, major issue for other owners.

The increased in after-fire on decel could be due to a "louder" muffler/pipe combination that lets you better hear what may have always been going on. An exhaust leak ahead of the cat might also lead to an increase in afterfire.

Is this by chance the $350 package catback system that Meineke's been advertising for, lately??

Steve

Reply to
CompUser

Don't know for sure. The Meineke guy implied that they were, but that may simply have been the most convenient answer for him to give.

Well, visually I prefer the double tip, but it's hardly worth 3-4 hours of my time to make the change!

Hmmm, hope you're wrong about that!

No, there's a flange near the rear of the exhaust system (a ways back from the cat), and this just replaced a piece of curved pipe and the muffler in back of the flange (cost was about $290).

Zack

Reply to
Zack

I have an LS 90, FWD with the 2.2l engine with a dual-tipped muffler. I also have an L 95, FWD with the same 2.2l engine, but this one has a single-tipped muffler.

It may have nothing to do with the single or dual-tipped issue, but I changed the dual-tipped muffler twice (260,000km), and there's no sign of wear on the single-tipped one (185000km).

I'd say don't bother. None of the aftermarkets will be as silent as the original Subaru ones though. I guess that the Bosals just try to adapt their standard lines to fit different cars.

Felix

Reply to
Felix Crashalot