90 Legacy Sunroof

Hi, I have a 1990 Legacy Sedan with a factory sunroof which is not working. I'm trying to troubleshoot it and can't find anything anywhere that will tell me where the sunroof gets it's power. If anyone has dealt with this please could you tell me if the sunroof has it's own power wire or if it's tapped off another circuit and if so; which, and if the power wire runs up the A,B or C pillar. I checked the switch and it appears to be after the motor in the circuit(circuit tester indicates the black wire is ground and the other 3 wires don't respond to power input). I'd appreciate any help, what I've discovered so far seems pretty nutty to me and I'd rather not pull out half the interior just to test the power lead to the sunroof.

Jerry

Reply to
George Foreman

Don't have a manual or the Legacy but looked at an 88 GL manual. In the 88 model, the sunroof has its own circuit. Power flows through 2 fuses, the switch, through a relay, and than to the motor. Discovered the sunroof can be manually opened and closed. Look for a plug in the headliner near the rear view mirror. Behind the plug is a hex screw that can be turned. From your description of the problem it sounds like no power is reaching the switch. If true, check for a blown fuse. If you have power to and through the switch than maybe the relay is bad. This is sort of hard to explain but for the sunroof to open and then close the current to the motor has to be reversed. This function happens at the switch. I mentioned this because when you go to test for current after the switch it could confuse you.

Reply to
johninKY

Thanks. I searched and can't find any fuses for the sunroof in either the underhood box or the one in the driver's footwell... guess I'll have to pull the headliner out anyway to find out any more about the circuit.

Reply to
George Foreman

I don't think the fuses are labeled "Sunroof". Pull and check all the fuses before removing the headliner. Hate for anyone to go through all this trouble only to learn it was a fuse problem. I wonder if you could "hot wire" the wiring harness from the switch to the motor? If the roof then works, you know not to pull the headliner.

Reply to
johninKY