90' Subaru Loyale Throttle Body

I am trying to locate the throttle body and cables on my Subaru Loyale so that I may spray wd40 on them. I know almost nothing about cars and need a little help finding it.

James

Reply to
CantAffordAMechanic via CarKB.

Hi,

Looking at the engine bay from the front, the air cleaner is in the box on the left, with a large plastic pipe/hose leading to a rubber-looking "box" in the center, which is held on with a very large hose clamp. Loosen the clamp and lift the rubber "box" up (you MAY have to disconnect another hose or two) and you'll be looking at the t/b and linkage. You can get some spray t/b cleaner at the auto parts store--it's for cleaning the interior (wash down the throat, let dry before trying to start the engine) but also does a good job of cleaning crud off the linkage. Then a drop or two of oil (not WD-40) on the parts of the linkage that move (if you're not sure, have a helper push on the gas pedal while you watch to see what moves) should do the trick. WD-40 will wash off a lot of crud, but doesn't leave you much residual lubrication.

After everything's dry, put the "box" back on and tighten the clamp securely. Engine should start now, though it might run rough for a minute or so if any cleaner's still in the t/b. Watch carefully that you got all the disconnected hoses reconnected and didn't knock any electrical connectors loose. Should be a simple operation. If you don't have one, this is a good time to spend a few bucks on a Haynes or Chilton's manual! (IMO Haynes' pictures are more helpful if you're really "lost.")

Good luck,

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright