91 Loyale running too cold?

Hey folks,

I have a 1991 Subaru Loyale wagon (automatic, 4x4, EA82 fuel injected,

122,223 miles) and I'm having a bit of trouble with the cooling system. No, it's not overheating, the problem is that the cooling system is working a little too well.

Here's the story. Ever since I've owned this car it has run well and heated well, and the temperature gauge during normal running would creep up to about 1/4 and stay there, where it seemed happy enough. Last week, the heater stopped giving much heat, the car was taking forever to warm up, and so the cause was identified immediately: a bad thermostat. It was replaced this morning, and it heats quite a bit better, plus the engine is running slightly smoother than it ever has. . the only problem is that the fact the heater is working notwithstanding, the temperature gauge still never rises above 1/4. In almost any other car I've ever driven, the temp gauge crept up to 1/2 or so and settled there.

So my question is, is this normal for the car, or is the temperature gauge malfunctioning? The fact I'm getting heat out of the vents proves the motor isn't running completely cold, plus as I said before it runs a bit smoother with the new thermo in place. The car is quite driveable in this state and runs well, but my worry is that if the gauge is right, and this is abnormal for a Loyale, then I'm doing damage to the engine by running it too cold. This car is my daily driver, so I really need to know if there's something wrong with her *before* she breaks down and strands me on the way to work.

If the gauge is malfunctioning, can someone tell me where the sender unit for it is? If 1/4 is normal for a Loyale then I have no problems with the car as it is now. =) Gonna have it re-painted next year.

Finally, on a completely unrelated note, does anyone know where the rear washer filler cap for a Loyale wagon is? Or does it run off the front resevoir and I just have a kinked hose somewhere (on the car, not me ;) ).

Thanks for any advice, will also be trying the wonderful USMB when I get a chance. Hope all you nor'easters like myself are having fun playing in the snow. .

Reply to
Decimal Cat

Hi,

My '90 Loyale generally runs just above 1/4--climbing hills during the summer will move it up just under 1/2 while climbing, then it will drop off when hitting level ground again.

When the t-stat was replaced, what temp was installed? Factory is approx

195 deg F, a lot of aftermarket replacements are approx 180 deg F, and I've noticed a bit of a difference in heater performance (mine's puny to start with--probably a bit plugged) between the two. Also, the gauge goes up faster on hills with the higher temp t-stat, though it tops off the same place.

Might be something to check.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

The Loyale I had run during 3 years at temp indicating 1/4 of the gage. The temperature was rising at 1/2 but never over 1/2 at stop in trafic in summer. I never knew why.. but the only disavantage is the heater that is not very hot. The thermostat was replaced 2 times by the dealer and nothing change.

You will find the rear window washer tank in the left side trunk plastic panel.

Enjoy your Loyale, don't let it rust!

"Decimal Cat" a écrit dans le message de news:3fd50bfb snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net...

Reply to
Philippe Javaux