92 Loyale engine knocks

My daughter owns a 92 Loyale. The engine knocks terribly at times (sounds like lifter knock) and then runs very quietly other times. Mechanic said the oil pump was cavitating and not pumping efficiently. Replaced the pump along with water pump, timing belts, etc. etc. Car still knocks horribly. I would appreciate any ideas.

Reply to
Ishmail

Get a new car?

Reply to
Big Jim

Good advice Jim. I bought a 2010 outback limited. Really nice for sure! My daughter doesn't have that luxury though.

Reply to
Ishmail

2 things come to mind but I'd think your mech would already have considered them. One is a bad tensioner allowing the TB to 'flop' against the cover. Usually there will be a clean/worn spot inside the cover. Or piston slap. Some folks have been able to quiet piston slap with different oil or oil additives. But, if this noise is 'new' I'd be inclined to think it's the TB tensioner or maybe something deeper/more serious.

Maybe a new set of ears on the problem would help? Post your general location and maybe someone can recommend a mech with Soob experience in the area?

Carl

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Thanks Carl,

The timing belts and tensioner along with oil pump and water pump were all replaced on Monday by a Sub mechanic. He was sure it was the oil pump. This car has done this for several years. I have used "SeaFoam" to quiet it for a while but it comes back. Its definitely lifter or valve knock and is very annoying. Might just have to live with it.

2 things come to mind but I'd think your mech would already have considered them. One is a bad tensioner allowing the TB to 'flop' against the cover. Usually there will be a clean/worn spot inside the cover. Or piston slap. Some folks have been able to quiet piston slap with different oil or oil additives. But, if this noise is 'new' I'd be inclined to think it's the TB tensioner or maybe something deeper/more serious.

Maybe a new set of ears on the problem would help? Post your general location and maybe someone can recommend a mech with Soob experience in the area?

Carl

Reply to
Ishmail

Since the new pump didn't solve the problem, almost a certainty one or more of the lash adjusters are gunked up. I'd use a light wt. oil like Rotella 5W30 along with the Sea Foam. Maybe after a few oil changes...who knows? Cheaper than replacing the HLAs which is another option.

Reply to
johninky