93 Legacy wagon oil leak

235,000 it should probably leak, but a dealer/owner of a used small Subaru lot said it had to be the oil pump. Prompto changes the oil and the oil pan gasket has been checked. It seems pump related in that it seems to leak down to a point on the stick, but I never get an oil light.

Is there a history of oil pump leaks and where can I find out where & what to fix. It's wet with oil above the passenger side valve cover.

Thanks

Reply to
George

well if its leaking above the RHS valve cover(I am guessing that this is a LHD model) then it in no way is the oil pump leaking as the oil pump is mounted on the front portion of the Crank behind your cambelts,My guess is that the tappet cover gasket has gone hard and has started to leak this is common on most vehicles after the milage gets up there it is a simple job to replace but requires the removal of the air intake and filter box to gain access...

Reply to
Anarky

Thanks for the input.

Reply to
George

I did a visual check on the tappet covers, but the engine is wet further back on the block than that. After adding quart of oil, I started up the car to warm the oil before checking the stick. While the engine was running, I noticed a bit of oil slowly pulsing out the top of the oil pressure sending unit right where the electrical lead attaches.

It's a tough spot to get to, but I managed to get a spanner on the nut and it was essentially tight. I'll have to get a socket with a u-joint to try tightening it any more.

Anyone have this problem before or know what might fix it?

TIA

George

Reply to
George

Not on soobs, but I replaced that part twicw on a Colt Vista wagon. And beware of after market, they sometimes have an easily clogged, smaller opening. Get the soob part. check

and ask for/email jamie or you local dealer. I doubt it is loose - the plastic whatever insert is cracked or bad.

I suppose there is a distant possibility your oil pressure release valve is stuck and your oil pressure is too high. doubtful

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan