94 Loyale surging

Hi

I bought a 94 Loyale wagon 4WD - manual gearbox. It had a misfire, so I changed plugs, plug leads, dist cap and rotor arm, had the injectors cleaned out, replaced the air filter, replaced the timing belts (they needed it anyway)- nothing helps. The dealers say they can't find anything wrong (don't you just hate that?). I've advanced the timing almost to detonation (yes I know I shouldn't do it) and the misfire is now more like a surge. No evidence of cracks in the head, no loss of compression. I think the plug thread on number 4 is stripped - I've tried several plugs and they won't tighten all the way down. I haven't checked voltage at the coil. Poured soapy water over the inlet tract and pipes around it and there's no bubbling, so no leaks. There's no water in the distributor cap. The car warms up slowly, but I've been told that's normal. The valve lifters are a bit noisy, especially on the passenger side, but I've been told that's usually because of an old oil pump - oil pressure on my car is within spec. The engine service light isn't on. We had a cold spell a while back (-20 degs centigrade)and I think the car went better. Would very low temperatures at a defective alternator improve power output? The fuel pump is noisy. I haven't checked fuel pressure, would it cause surging/misfiring?

The "experts" say its probably a sensor, but the dealers say their tests would have picked that up and I don't want to spend good cash chasing non existent problems.

Anybody got any ideas?

Sandy

Reply to
Sandy Forsyth

Would you expect to see bubbles on something that operates on a slight vacuum?

Reply to
Mike