95 Impreza fuel pump relay location

I had to download portions of the service manual from a paid site to figure out where this relay is (if anyone needs a tech manual for this car, let me know ;).

The manual does not state how to get to it. It appears to be all the way up in the dash - not someplace my hands can reach. Does the dash need to come apart to get to just one relay?? Bad design if that is the case..

Is there another possible cause for the pump to have stopped running? I had the engine out a week ago - is there some sort of interlock or ground pin on the engine that disables the pump for safety reasons (so you can't attempt to start the car with the engine out, pumping fuel into the engine compartment?). Again, the Subaru manual does not suggest it in their trouble shooting section or wiring diagrams but, after thinking about it more, it would make sense to do that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Remco

Reply to
Remco

Can't help with the location. Do know the relay in the XT/XT6 is located directly below the radio which really is no help. Before replacing the relay check all the fuses as the system has to have one. Also check for current flow at the tank. If you find you have current making it to the tank then the fuel pump itself is the problem.

Reply to
johninKY

Thanks, John. The relay is up in the dash, along the driver's left knee but way up there. Very hard to get to. It is in a row of three relays, the lowest being the blower (round), then the main relay (square) and then the fuel pump relay (round) Just mentioning in case anyone ever needs to know this in the future.

I put the test connector together, which apparently overrides some of the normal operating modes and did find 12V at the pump after all. I am not getting fuel into the filter and the pump does not make any sound - the pump must be bad. Called the Subaru dealer and they mentioned that there are no serviceable parts in the pump assembly - a new pump will cost $350. There are electric pumps on ebay for an impreza and, if those are the submersible variety, I suspect they are direct replacements. Would anyone here know for sure?

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Oh, forgot to mention that resetting the computer did bring the relay back to land of the living. Initially I wasn't getting anything on the pump's connector. It did not show any codes but when it started working with the test connector in, I knew the relay was fine. So resetting the computer made it behave once again. Not sure why my pump fried and why the computer decided to shut it off. That may be some sort of failsafe mechanism. The pump looks original and has about 180K on it so that's probably the reason for it dying.

Again, just mentioning in case someone else has this problem in the future. Remco

Reply to
Remco

You can check around and find lots of new pumps for 1/2 what the dealer wants.

Reply to
johninKY

Thanks - way ahead of ya as that's what I am doing now :)

Reply to
Remco

I don't know *for sure* on a '95, but the 2.0 WRX Imprezas are often refitted with Walbro pumps, when tossing on bigger turbos & injectors. Try googling up a retailer for the Walbro's and find an application chart for your model.

Reply to
CompUser

Forgot to mention, the Walbro's seem to run only about a third of what you're quoting for dealer ;-)

Reply to
CompUser

Thanks! I'll look into that.

Reply to