95 legacy: 10 volts at starter solenoid no start (cold)

Hi, so when it's cold the starter won't turn right away. How many volts should there be at the solenoid connector? I get 10. The colder it is the more key turns it takes to get the starter to turn. (still 10 volts) It also sounds like it might be dragging on the flywheel for a second once it starts, but that might just be my wife no letting go of the key. I'm hoping it's just the contacts. thanks!

paul.

Reply to
paul

Edward Hayes

yep, 10 while turning the key. each time the key is turned i get 10 volts at the solenoid connection. when it does turn over i still get exactly 10. all those connections have been checked and cleaned.

thanks

paul.

Reply to
paul

Hi Paul I take it that the relay just clicks and the start motor doesn't turn?

There are two contacts to the starter: one high power that actually starts it and one that just kicks the relay. I am assuming you cleaned both (especially the high power one)?

Perhaps try this: put a 2x4 on the engine and whack that piece of wood with a hammer. You'll want to mechanically shock the starter, not bend it so don't whack it too hard. There's a good chance it will start while/after whacking it - if it does, there's also a good chance that the starter needs replacing.

Hope this is of use to you Remco

Reply to
whybcuz

Reply to