95 Legacy Battery and Brake light on.

My 1995 Subaru Legacy L sedan (AWD Automatic) now has the Battery light and the Brake light on all the time. This started yesterday, I figured it was my alternator going bad.....but I checked the Batt voltage (12v) and the output from the Alt (not with a meter, but an indicator tester that showed full output). I removed the batt cables and cleaned the posts. I noticed that when I placed the cables back on the batt I could hear something activating (it sounds somewhere near the rear of the car) It sounds like a large relay clicking. It is just the sound of one click. I tried this several times and each time I connect the batt cables I get this "one click" sound. Does anyone have any ideas? As soon as I get some free time and a helper I will try to locate where the clicking sound is coming from.... I'm guessing it has someting to do with the ABS system. I'm not sure why the Battery light is coming on or if it is connected to the Barke light on. Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
rdodson4

There may be bad diodes in the alternator, you won't be able to diagnose this with a voltmeter. A shop can check for bad diodes with a scope. Bad diodes will allow result in the alternator output not being properly filtered and this can cause symptoms such as warning lights coming on or other electrical/electronic devices in the car acting abnormally.

Reply to
mulder

Thank you very much: Your suggestion was right on the money. I took the alternator off and had it tested. The tech at the auto shop said it did appear to be a problem with the diodes. I bought a rebuilt alternator, installed it, took it for a test drive........All is well again with my subaru. thanks. . .

Reply to
rdodson4